The Blind Teenager

The Blind Teenager

By: Jonathan Kimel

            Everyday at lunch, I would stop eating my greasy Papa John’s pizza to gaze upon the dark brown-haired beauty that happened to pass my table every single day. On one rare occasion she glanced at me or perhaps my table. She must have felt me staring, I had immediately directed myself gaze elsewhere, to where? Nowhere. I had felt a small flush in my cheeks rise up, when it occurred because I knew I had been caught.

            My friends would often tease me about my dumbfounded, affectionate stare towards her; however, my best friend Kaytlin would always be defending me. I had no idea why she did this or at least never picked up on it. Kaytlin wasn’t very tal, maybe 5’4” or 5’5” only a few inches below me. I would joke around about her height whenever I could. She was never proud about it and felt inferior; nevertheless, she was a great person, vivacious, always wanting to be outside and hanging out, positive, and willing to help others in a time of need. She got me through a few rough times; I could never repay her, or at least never thought I could.

            I was doing my daily lunch routine. Then my beauty had walked by. She had a quirky smile on her face I loved that smile. I saw her eyes directed to me. A uncontrollable smile split my face. She passed. I looked back at my table, for a second I thought I saw Kaytlin glare at me. If so, it was gone in an instant. She poked my side and I twitched. She whispered to me, “Hey, you should ask her for her name.”

“Uhh… I don’t know,” I weakly stated.

            “I know her name,” a grin upon my friend Jesse. He was always a little cocky. He could get almost any girl he wanted. I envied him, a little- always smooth, calm, and collected around the females, nut around us… He was a goof ball. He could always make people laugh no matter their mood.

            “No thanks, I’ll find out on my own time.” My friends wore a surprised look on their faces. My statement shocked me as well. I usually take the easy way out, but something told me not to this time.

            Jesse just chuckled smugly. “OK then,” the same grin stuck to his face. “Go on, talk to her.”

            It looked as if a cloud’s shadow ran over my face, “Um… I du-don’t kn-kni-know,” my confidence was shot, like a target at a shooting range.

            “Awe, how cut he’s nervous!” Alex boomed. Alex was the biggest guy at the table. He was over six foot and was as thick as a trunk. He was very protective of us, especially Kaytlin. He didn’t have thing for her per-say, it was just she was the girl of our pack.

            “Shut up!” Kaytlin shot back. Alex sank into his chair, defeated. “No pressure Alin,” she smiled, “ Just take your time.”-Oops by the way, Alin is the name. I was too caught up to remember to say my name. Oh well.

            That was all I needed. I stood up swiftly, “I will ask her, her name.” I spoke with an undeniable confidence.

            “Go get her tiger!” Jesse shouted in response.

            I turned from the table. I could feel their eyes on me. I scouted through a sea of people. Found her! Out the cafeteria double doors she went and into the bright daylight.

            It was a hot day. Luckily wind was blowing lightly to cool us and give us a respite, every now and again, from the heat. She was calmly walking through the green grass in the middle of the school courtyard. She seemed at peace in her navy blue skinny jeans and black tank top with golden lettering on the front. She looked so delicate, her slim form, yet not too skinny to appear anorexic. She held her books in one arm and carried her small, multi-colored backpack on her shoulders.