We packed our bags and left the Council’s house in an hour. Taking the keys to the red sports car, I put our things into the back seat and then toss the keys to Ghost. “You know the way to the King’s house. I call shotgun.” He laughs as I slip into the passenger seat. It wasn’t that far a drive from the Council house in London to Dean’s pack in Midhurst, so I decided to let him know that we were coming, though I figured that that his cousin gave him a heads up.

Pulling out my cell, I dial his personal number and wait for him to answer. “Hello.”

“Dean, Tami here.”

“Hey Tami, it’s been awhile. How are you?”

“Good, good. I was just calling you to let you know that my partner and I were assigned to come and keep an eye out just in case anyone tries to act on the rumors.”

“Yeah, Colt told me that both of you would be heading this way this week. Congrats on becoming an assassin. When will y’all arrive?”

“We just left the Council, so a couple of hours I reckon.”

“We’ll be waiting for the two of you. Dell’s here, but Belle went to the States to see her family.”

“Thanks for the info Dean, but I don’t think I’ll be seeing much of him. G man and I plan on staying out of sight so we can see more.” Dean chuckles but I couldn’t find it in me to laugh with him. “Who’s G man? I don’t think I know that particular assassin.”

Looking over at Ghost, he shrugs. Should I tell him? He nods and I clear my throat.

“G man is really Ghost.” Dean becomes quiet for a few minutes. “I’ve heard of him, but I’ve never met him.”  

“I’d best let you go and get back to your duties. I’ll call you right before we arrive.”

“I’ll be waiting for your call Tami. See you soon.”

“Yeah.” I hang up and lean my head on the back of my seat. I feel the breeze from my window rush past me and I sigh softly. “Why did he mention his Gamma and his mate?” Keeping my eyes closed, I mull over my words. “When I was fifteen, I lost my parents in a pack war. Three years later I met my mate. But he rejected me because in his eyes I was weak and not Luna material. I was still grieving their deaths, so I was a bit withdrawn. A week later, I graduated from high school and I left, making sure to wipe every sign that I ever lived there.

“I spent several years in a small town called the name of Rollins, and even a year or so with the Lost River pack. I left and headed up to Helena where I applied to become a King’s warrior. After a lengthy battle with his Gamma and Captain of warriors, Cordell Cooper, I finally beat him. I was surprised when he named me Captain.

“I’ve spent the last four years of so with the King. Dell’s mate Belle rejected him and we found out that we were second mates. However, because he was reluctant to tell the King about it, and I thought that he meant to reject me. So, I avoided him pushing myself and the warriors through a very hard training session. My body gave out and I collapsed. It wasn’t long after I woke that Dell found out that Belle had been placed under a spell by a warlock who wanted her for himself.

“I wasn’t mad that he went back to her. What hurt me was that he didn’t tell me to my face. I couldn’t stay there and watch him be happy with her, so I left. Because running is something I’m good at doing. Through everything that my wolf and I went through earlier, she stayed strong. But Dell’s rejection broke not only my heart, but her spirit as well. We became cold and uncaring as ice, hence the nickname Blizzard.

“I don’t regret my life or the choices I’ve made. A few months ago, I found out that my parents didn’t die during that war. They were captured and someone made two mutilated bodies look like them. They told King Colt that they had been held captive for eleven years before managing to escape. And then they spent the next few years looking for me. My father wanted me to move back to our old pack with them, but there’s no way I’d go back and spend the rest of my life watching my ex-mate live as though I didn’t matter.”

“I understand Hale. The reason I became an assassin was because my mate cheated on me. I’ve never met my second mate, and I don’t think I ever will.” I nod my head once. “Let me know when we’re about five minutes from the King’s place will ya?” I ask softly and I hear him mumble something.  

Several hours later, I felt someone shaking me. Moaning softly, I swat at the person. “Come on Hale, wake up. We’re about ten minutes from our destination.” I sigh and open my eyes. “Thanks G man.”

“No problem Hale.” Rubbing my face, I call Dean. “Sire, we’re ten minutes away.”

“I’ll be waiting Tami.” The smell of fish and chips fills the car and I jerk my eyes over to Ghost. He was standing beside the driver’s door holding two boxes. “Dinner is served.” He says handing me one of the boxes. Thanking him, I open mine up and smile. “Nothing beats fish and chips, though I’d rather have catfish.” Ghost laughs at me and I stick my tongue at him.

 We finish our dinner and get back on the road. Within minutes, we find ourselves pulling into the King’s driveway. I recognize the two guards at the gate and they nodded at me as we pulled through. Pulling around the corner, I spot Dean standing on the gravel waiting for us. Ghost pulls to a stop under the shed and we slowly get out. Dean heads towards us and we wait for him. Once he stops in front of us, we bow our heads.

“Y’all are staying in the guest rooms just off of mine. Most of my pack knows that we have a couple of assassins staying with us for a while, but they don’t know the true reason you’re here.” He turns to leave, but stops beside me. Ghost gets the hint and steps back inside the car. “After the two of you get settled in your rooms, I’d like you to come to my office to talk.”

“Yes sir.” I say giving him a mock salute. He laughs and I flash a brief smile before grabbing my bags. As I walk to the back door, Ghost falls in step with me. Since I knew the way to our rooms, Ghost followed me up the stairs. We quickly open our doors and disappear in the rooms. Tossing my bags on the bed, I turn to head to Dean’s office when I’m stopped by Dell. We have a stare off for five minutes before he speaks. “Tami, what are you doing here?”

Keeping my glare as neutral as I could, I stay quiet. Dell steps farther into my room. I take a step back wishing that Ghost would walk in my room right now. “Tami…”

“It’s none of your business why I’m here Gamma Cooper. But if you have to know, I am here at the request of my bosses. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m late for a meeting.” I walk past him and head down the stairs. I knew I sounded rude, but I wasn’t up for a long conversation with him as of yet.

Reaching Dean’s office, I knock once and wait. The second I lowered my hand, the door swung open revealing my best friend. I step in the room and he closes the door behind me. Before I could take another step, I’m swallowed in a bear hug. “I’ve missed you so much Tami.” Hugging him back, I sigh. “I’ve missed you too Dean. Now, what did you want to talk about?” He leads me a seat.

“The rumors about the attempt on my life aren’t just rumors.” He opens a drawer and pulls out a letter. Handing it to me, I instantly catch a scent that’s been burned into my brain for years, Jubal. Slowly opening the letter, I take my time to read it.

King Dean,

I am writing to tell you that several packs have grown tired of your reign. It is time for your replacement. This is the only warning you’ll receive from us. You are living on borrowed time. In three month’s time, you’ll be dead and there will be a new leader to guide us. And it will be a shame that you won’t be around to meet them.

                                                                                                                        Un Known

Growling softly, I lunge to my feet and start pacing. Worried, Dean watches me. “Tami, what’s wrong?”

“I know who sent you this letter Dean. I know because his scent has been burned into my brain since I was a child.”

“Who is it Tami?”

“Jubal Hill.”