Chapter 10

I looked from Dell to Dean and back to Dell. On the outside I looked calm and collected. But inside I was freaking out. Opening my mouth to explain to Dean, I snap it shut when I hear Dell’s voice. “It’s nothing Dean. I accidently dropped Belle’s picture and as I went to pick it up, the glass shards tore it up and I got mad. Tami came in to see if I was alright and I snapped at her.”

At his words I felt my heart sink and Lilly whimpered softly. Why isn’t he telling Dean the truth? Oh my goddess, he’s going to reject us.

He’s not Jubal, Tamar. I’m sure Cordell won’t reject us.

Then why didn’t he tell Dean? The way he spoke, it sounded like he was ashamed of what happened between us just now. Lilly sighs and closes the link. Dropping my eyes, I step away from Dell. “Excuse me Alpha. I…I need to go for a run. I won’t be long.” Slipping past Dean, I felt his hand on my shoulder but I just shrug it off. Running down the stairs, I go outside and shift behind a tree. Making sure to hide my scent completely, I grab my clothes gently between my teeth and head for my cave.

As I raced through the dark forest, I tried to keep my mind off of Dell. He won’t reject us silly.

What if he doesn’t want us Lilly? How can I live through another rejection? The first one almost killed us.

*sigh* I don’t know Tami. His mate just rejected him, that’s why he tore her picture up.

How do you know that?

His wolf, Roman, told me. You knew that she was pregnant with a human’s child, but Dell was willing to raise it as his own. Roman told me that Belle never told the human about the child. Right after we left, the child’s father moved back to town and ran into Belle. She doesn’t want the child to grow up not knowing its real father, and she won’t make Dell raise someone else’s child. So, when the human proposed to her she accepted, called Dell and rejected him. Letting out a growl, I run faster.

The waterfall was just ahead of me and I swiftly make my way into the cave. Shifting back, I quickly pull on my clothes and look around. Sitting down, I slip my feet into the small pool of water and lay back, looking at the stars through the little round hole above me. Hours pasted, but I didn’t move. I could hear Dean, Rivers and Dell calling to me through our link. In the forest, still a good distance from me, Greg’s pack was combing through the woods calling my name as well.  

Opening the link with Dean, I wait until his voice quieted down. Dean, I’m alright. I just lost track of time.

Where are you Tamar? Are you hurt? We’ll come get you if you’re hurt.

I’m fine Dean, I promise. I…I just needed some time alone.