Chapter 17

The next morning, I was up at four. After taking a short shower, I dress and head for the kitchen. Half way down the stairs I run into Tiny. He looked like he just rolled out of bed and was still half asleep. Stifling a laugh, I continue my way to breakfast. After we ate, Tiny went back up to his room to get ready for our meeting with the Council members and I went to the entertainment room.

I was turning on the Xbox when I felt someone behind me. Without turning around to see who it was, I toss one of the wireless controllers over my shoulder.  I heard the person catch it as I slip COD in. We take a sit in the gaming chairs, not looking at each other. I had a hunch as to who this man was, but I focused on the game. We spent the next hour playing.

After our last fight, I turn the Xbox off and lay my controller on the shelf. “Thanks for the game. I have a meeting to get to.” Turning to leave, I look at him for the first time. He was handsome, and for a second I found myself comparing him to Dean. His hazel eyes stared back into mine and I found myself slowly smiling at him. 

“Maybe we can play again sometime Ghost.” I say as I walk towards the door. Just as it closed behind me, I heard him laughing softly. I quickly reach the conference room and knock on the door. When I hear Colt telling me to enter, I open the door and step into the room. Within seconds Tiny joined us. Colt started to speak as Tiny sat beside me.

“As you know, assassins usually start their first mission alone, but not this time. Epps, you’ll be working with one of our best. Her mission and now yours as well, is to track down and bring back your target alive for questioning. Everything you need to know is in your file. You’ll meet your partner at the location you’ll find written in there as well. Good luck and stay safe.” I watch as Tiny stands up, takes the folder from Colt and leaves the room.

He waits until Tiny left the room before turning to face me. I hear the door open quietly and I knew that Ghost had joined us. “As for you Hale, I was going to assign you with someone else, but you were requested by our very best. I’d like you to meet Ghost.” Standing up, I give Ghost a genuine smile. “It’s nice to officially meet you Sir.” I tell him as he shakes my hand. Tilting my head a little, I look at him. “That was you the other day in the clearing wasn’t it?”

“It was.” He said with a sheepish smile. “I watch the recruits every year, but I never find one that peaks my interest. That is until I saw you. Not once in my whole career have I seen anyone set a trap. Most would just set out and hunt the others down. But you, you waited and even brought some to you. And when you had Epps in your sight and could have easily taken him out but chose not to, I knew that you were the one. I’ve always worked alone until now. I requested that you be chosen as my partner, and Councilman Colt here granted my request.” I was shocked, but of course nothing showed on my face.

Turning towards Colt, I bow my head in respect. “Thank you sir. What’s our mission?”

“Yesterday, when I went to see King Colt, he told me of a rumor he had heard. Sometime within the next two to three months, there will be an attempt on the king’s life. We can’t allow that to happen, so the Council has decided to assign the both of you to the case. Find and stop the ones behind the attempt and protect the King at all costs. Understand?” We nod and Colt leaves. Ghost looks at me. “Blizzard…” I stop him. “Either call me Hale or Tami please.” I say softly.

“I thought you went by Blizzard.” I sigh softly and stand up. “That’s what everyone here calls me. And I don’t mind it, but I’d rather you didn’t call me that. Since we’re going to be working together and might even become friends, I’d like it if you called me Hale or Tami. Blizzard brings to many bad memories up.” He gives me a smile and we walk towards the door.