Circumstances

Nathaniel clapped Marcus's back, "What are you worried about?"

"I can't believe you're asking me that question." Marcus shrugged out of his friend's grasp and turned around to lean against the glass. He jerked his thumb toward the eager scientists buzzing about a power cell. "You shoved a dozen of the best scientists in there and ordered them to tinker with a volatile power source. And you wonder why I'm worried?" Marcus crossed his arms and glared at Nathaniel out of the corner of his eye. "Since when did you require me to be that explicit."

Marcus rested an arm against the window as he scratched the stubble invading his chin. "Nothing of value is ever achieved without taking risk. Fortunately, they're aware of the danger."

"Personally, I think racing down this path isn't worth it." Marcus chewed his lower lip as he stared at the scrambling scientists, "There are safer alternatives."

"But none that would generate the success required to flee this world." Nathaniel slammed his hand against the wall, "And you know that."

A scientist approached, tapped the window, and thrust his finger towards the exit. Marcus grabbed Nathaniel's arm and tugged him in the indicated direction. "It appears they don't appreciate that disruption. Walk with me to the station."

"I need to observe their work."

Marcus yanked his friend, guiding him out of sight. "You standing over them like a hunter examining its prey won't expedite their progress. While we stretch our legs, we can talk about the root of your problem." Marcus pulled Nathaniel away from the pointing finger on the other side of the glass. "Despite running this settlement, you're allowed to have personal interests that conflict with your responsibilities once in a while."

Nathaniel glanced over his shoulder and saw the scientist wave him on. He bowed his head and yielded to Marcus's pull. "What's new at the farm?"

"Nothing," Marcus shouldered the door open and held it until his friend passed. "Though I'm eager to return and confirm the accuracy of that statement."

"Was the retrieval," Nathaniel smirked and pointed toward the Southern Region's shores, "a little too adventurous?"

"Finding the thing was simple enough." Marcus strode outside and took a deep breath and sighed. "It was dealing with the pirates that I wouldn't have minded skipping."

Nathaniel whacked Marcus's shoulder and grinned. "From what I heard, you sunk two of the ships with that experiment of..." Nathaniel snapped his fingers several times while he sucked on his lower lip. "Who was it that crafted that weapon?"

"I believe the brainiac in question was Cian," Marcus tapped his lips as they walked down the street. He paused, slapping his hands together repeatedly. "Wait, no, it wasn't him." Marcus itched his temple as nonsensical sounds tumbled from his mouth. He threw his hand into the air as a smile raced onto his face. "That instrument of destruction was Callum's masterpiece."

"Regardless of whoever created it, you used it to defend our shores and your crew."

A chill ran down Marcus's spine as his foot touched the first stair. While his tongue rubbed his lips, Marcus grabbed the railing and kicked the next step gently. "I wasn't exactly thrilled that the pirates forced me into using that weapon."

"Our scientist designed those to combat the lizards plaguing the Northern Region." Nathaniel clapped Marcus's shoulder and shooed him up the stairs.

Marcus stabbed Nathaniel with his fingers, forcing his friend to a halt. "Yes, that device gave us the ability to handle those monsters. But when push comes to shove, we discovered another use for the weapon." His fingertips dug into his palms, "It's perfect for annihilating wayward pirates."

"You shouldn't feel guilty for sinking those brigands, now they cannot attack us. Everyone who lives and works there, owes you a debt." Nathaniel climbed a couple of stairs and gripped his friend's collar. "We didn't seek this confrontation."

"But we're going to finish the fight," Marcus quipped, knocking Nathaniel's hands off him. He ran his fingers through his hair and groaned. "You can skip the lecture, I understand the implications of my actions." Marcus's fingers wrapped around his eyes as he slammed a fist into the wall behind him. "I'm painfully aware of the need for my actions. But that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with them."

Nathaniel climbed the last steps and sat down at the top of the staircase. "Despite the effort to keep your excursion a secret, the rumor spread through the cities like wildfire."

"And now everyone knows about this experiment."

With a shrug, Nathaniel wrapped his arms around his knees and started rocking. "Each region has requested the use of the power cell."

Marcus plopped onto the stair as his finger slid across his lips. "And based on the numbers gathered, it seems they're aware of how many cells we pulled from the ship."

"While you brought us half a dozen," Nathaniel clapped his hands, emphasizing the count. "The brain trust can only adapt one at the moment."

"And no doubt each region's leader has presented you with their list of reasons why they deserve it."

"They're jumping the gun," Nathaniel shrugged as a smile wormed its way onto his face. He thumped Marcus's shoulder and stared at the wall in front of him, "You're the sole exception."

Marcus chuckled as he rested his head against the handrail.

"What's so funny?"

Marcus shrugged and climbed to his feet. "I told you before that everyone in the Eastern Region enjoys their lives."

"You're in the minority."

Marcus hopped up and hauled Nathaniel off the ground. "We're aware of that, but people have to accept reality."

As if to punctuate Marcus's statement, an explosion ripped through the air, knocking them to the ground. As debris fell, Marcus pulled himself to the wall and peered toward the source of the noise. He twisted his white face back to his friend, "Nathaniel, forget escaping, everyone needs to accept were not getting off this rock anytime soon."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this story, please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction
https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan