The Light Behind Your Eyes

The bright light blurred my vision
causing me to squint tightly. My eyes seemed to be putting pieces together, making out basic shapes.

Soft noises were echoing subconsciously in my head.
"She's awa...wa..wake"
"Jet come here..ere"
I groaned and blinked hard, trying to swallow the lump in my dry throat.

Becoming more aware of the situation, with an adrenaline rush, I shot up to see two men at the foot of my bed. My eyes widened and I swung my legs over the edge of the bed in an attempt to get away.

"Mmmph" I grasped in pain, placing my hand over my side. The curly haired guy rushed over and put a hand on my shoulder. I need to get out of here.

"Woah, lay back, its okay. We're not gonna hurt you," he spoke. My brain pieced together his familiar face. Jet Star. I was sitting on the bed in my black v-neck shirt and I panicked realizing that my jacket wasn't in sight.

I swallowed but managed to croak, "Where's my jacket?"

"We uh... had to clean the blood out of it." I gave Jet Star a quizzical look.
Blood? How'd I get here anyways?

Jet Star and Fun Ghoul looked at each other. "Do you remember anything," Fun questioned.

"Just... Darkness. For a while anyways." As I finished that sentence I looked down at myself. There was an IV line in my arm. Shit. What the fuck happened! I looked around and inspected my body. I had some gauze taped on my arm and on my side. There was a tight wrapping on my ankle and my hands were a little blotchy.

"What the hell is going on," I demanded.

"Well we found you being dragged away by some Dracs. And after we ghosted them we realized you had been hit by their car. There was glass shattered everywhere," Jet spoke up.

"So we brought you back here and had Jet fix you up," Fun Ghoul smiled.

This news was extremely overwhelming. Stupid BLI/nd.

I slammed my body back into the pillows and closed my eyes with a sigh.

After taking a deep breath I clenched my teeth as I felt a stabbing sensation in my side. My breathing hitched and I opened my eyes to see Jet Star at my bedside.

"I'm fine... Just let me go," I lied straight through my teeth. It felt like my stomach was slowly becoming warm and sticky. I knew very well that I wasn't "fine."

"Take it easy, it's been a rough week for you." I held out my hands to say no, I'm okay, as Jest Star moved towards me. He could clearly see right through me. The pain was just unbearable. Jet just gave me a sympathetic look as I gripped onto the sheets in excruciating pain.

"Relax and try to slow your breathing, I'm gonna help you, okay? ... Can you tell me what hurts?" My side, my side! I couldn't get a single word out, and every time I tried to tell him my breathing became rigid.

Although it made me quite uncomfortable, I couldn't speak when Jet cautiously lifted my shirt up and began to inspect my ribs. His eyes grew wide, "Ghoul go get me the compression wrap. Now." His voice was stern.

Fun Ghoul ran out for a few agonizing seconds before rushing back in quickly, as Jet Star pressed a new set of gauze against me. I could see just over the bridge of my nose that the blood had soaked through the old set of gauze.

"You popped your stitches but don't worry. It's all under control." Jet Star reached to the side for a needle and some other instrument. "I have to fix these 2. It might hurt but you have to let me."

"No! Please don't," I grunted, "I have supplies back at my place." I protectively put my hand over my cut so that he couldn't reach for it. I hate having people take care of me. I've been on my own for a while by now.

"Look kid, I know you might hate being here but you can get an infection. And I'm sure you wouldn't want that." God was he right, but I was still hesitant to move my hand away.

Jet took my right wrist and pulled my hand off of my side and set on the rail.
"Left arm over your head. It'll make it easier, and quicker too," he instructed.

I did as I was told and felt his hands linger over me. The newly blood-soaked gauze were removed and the air was cold around it. I took a sharp breath as I felt his gloved hand touch my gash. "Relax. Relax," Jet hushed.

With my eyes closed,I felt every single poke with the needle and ginger touch from Jet as he worked to stitch the wound. Noticing a long pause I opened my eyes.

Jet put fresh gauze on top with some medical tape. He carefully helped me sit up and began wrapping the compression bandages around me. My breathing was slightly irregular from movement but it then slowly died down.

"Then I guess this is the 3rd thanks I owe you," I grinned, "thanks for saving me." I noticed Fun Ghoul enter, give a sigh of relief, and leave the room.

Jet gave me a light smiled and patted my arm. "Do you mind if I ask some questions?"

Shit, I really need to leave. I shouldn't be in this position. I don't even know if I can trust them. My memory was coming back quickly from the day I was injured, giving me a migraine. I put my hand on my forehead and lightly shook my head from side to side.

"Depends," I mumbled.

"Alright. Well first off, what is your name?"

Jet saved my life. the least I could do was tell him my name. "Echo Castle. I usually just go by Echo." He nodded and there was a hesitation before he spoke again.

"Umm.. Listen, Echo. You must have a pretty bad reputation at Better Living for them to come after you like that.... What did you do exactly?"

I knew very well what he was talking about. I've had multiple encounters with BLI/nd. "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." He gave me a look with his big brown eyes, telling me there was no way that was the real reason.

I shifted uncomfortably in the bed and Jet Star could tell I was becoming restless.

"So you don't have anyone to go home to, to take care of you when you leave here do you?"

"Of course I do," I lied.

"That's good. But you're still staying here for at least 3 more days. I need to be able to monitor your condition."

"I'm okay, honest. I just need to go home and rest."

"Echo, you've been resting for a week. You really need time. Time for your cuts and your ankle to heal."

"I'm leaving tomorrow regardless of what you suggest," I informed him.

"We'll see about that," he challenged with a grin, "I'll be back in an hour with some food."
Jet Star turned and walked out, not forgetting to close the door behind him. Click. And lock it.