"Alright buddy, you know the drill" I point, his gaze following the direction of my finger to the hollister laying on the ground.

Bear was gifted to me a year before I built my treehouse. Throughout the process of building it, one of my mandatory requests was finding a way to get the dog up into the fort with me. Because he doesn't have the capability to climb the ladder like a person would, me and my dad had to improvise.

That's when we came up with the wonderful idea of the pull string hollister. It wasn't the safest idea, however, it was the best one we had come up with. It included attaching a harness to a two-way string secured to one of the tree branches above. On the deck of the treehouse was a hole that I could pull Bear through and unstrap him from his safety vest.

By now, Bear knew the drill. He could practically put the harness on himself, but I always made sure to double-check just in case of an accidental mess up on his part. After securely fastening him into his straps, I quickly made my way up the rope ladder. With a glance at the ground below and a "ready bud?" I begin pulling the rope until Bear had safely made it through the hole and onto the treehouse platform. Per usual, he greets me with a happy bark and wag of his tail as I unclip him.

I push myself from off the deck and make my way to the door of the treehouse, pushing it open. With a switch near the entrance, the room is lit up with the twinkle of fairy lights. A hammock hangs from the ceiling, beanbags used as chairs stuffed into the corners of the room. The inside is painted a simple white, with several drawings and pictures hanging across the walls.

Without much care or appreciation for the decor, Bear cuts in front of me, making his way to the separate dog bed I have set aside for him. He immediately curls up onto the soft plush, laying his chin on top of his crossed legs, staring at me expectedly.

"Oh, don't give me that look," I grimace, making my way to my own seat across from him. I open the mini-fridge next to me, grabbing myself a water before looking back at him and asking, "Want one?"

Bear just barks, giving me a somewhat disappointed look.

"Oh stop looking at me like that," I wave at him, grabbing him his own bottle, which I pour into the reserved dog bowl next to me. "You act like I'm hiding something from you."

He gives me a knowing stare.

"Okay fine, I'm hiding something from you." I give in, taking a gulp from my water bottle and pushing his bowl towards him. "How the hell do you always do that?"

I swear I see him shrug.

"Yeah, I don't know either. Must be some kind of doggy superpower," I shrug, placing my bottle onto the ground beside me, "Fine, I guess. I'll tell you everything. It's not like you can tell anyone else anyway."

So I explain everything that had happened to me in the course of two days, from the night of Harry's nightmare, Sabrina's broken foot, my near kiss experience, and Sabrina catching off guard. Bear interrupts every now and then, giving his own opinions in his own secret language.

"Yeah" I breathe out, nodding, "it definitely is a lot to take it." I stare at the ground momentarily before looking back at him, "Any idea about what I should do?"

"Probably start with talking to Sabrina."

"Yeah," I nod, considering his advice. "You're probably right. But what the hell am I supposed to say?"

"I'm sorry for breaking your foot and banging your brother, maybe?"

"I did not 'bang' Harry, we were just-" I stop.

Did my dog just reply to me?

"HOLY SHIT!" I scream, jumping up so fast out of my seat that it topples over, "You just talked!" I practically shriek, an accusing finger pointed towards the animal.