Chapter 21

When I was seven years old, my dad built me a treehouse.

Before then, I had wanted one so badly that I nearly went down to my hands and knees to beg my family for one. My dad wasn't the kind of person to go out of his way to do something for others, however, in exchange for a summer full of office work, I managed to convince him.

We have a big oak tree in our backyard, towering over our two-story home. It was the perfect place for my new treehouse. So, with my father's help, we set to work the second I got ahold of the necessary materials.

Dusk till dawn, I was outside putting together that treehouse. I poured my time, work, and heart into making it perfect. And a month later, it was finally was.

With a structure made of wood and a handful of flimsy decorations, I declared it my very own. It was officially my new fort, lair, whatever you wanted to call it. But what mattered was it was mine. Absolutely none of my siblings nor my parents were allowed inside of it. It was my safe place where I would be allowed some alone time when I needed it.

And right now I really needed it.

After the whole fiasco in the kitchen, Sabrina dashed away, leaving Harry and I alone in the kitchen. He had tried to convince me to stay, however, I was desperate for a moment alone to think. Of course, my first thoughts included finding Sabrina, however, after a failed scout around the house, I declared her gone.

She most likely fled for some time alone, similar to myself at the moment. We both needed some time to think and get her own thoughts straight.

It seemed like I haven't been at my own home in so long. I always seemed to be at Sabrina's house or out doing something that involved her or her brother. And, of course, working at the bakery as well. Life had just been so busy that I nearly had any time to myself, at my own home.

So when I finally did arrive back, it felt nice to finally take a breath. I stood outside my door momentarily, taking in the calm atmosphere and giving a quick glance around at my settings. The absent cars in the driveway indicated that my mother and sisters weren't home, however, the consistent barks from inside gave me a clue to who was.

Quickly grabbing the key from beneath the welcome mat, I place it back into the lock and turn it until I hear that satisfying 'click'. Immediately, I push the door open and am soon greeted by the very large Golden Pyrenees.

"Bear!" I scream happily, the elated dog jumping into my arms open arms despite his huge size. I'm immediately greeted with several happy barks and licks to the face, a trail of dog saliva being leftover.

"Yeah, I get it, I get it" I laugh, pushing his mouth away from me, "You missed me. Don't worry though," I say, booping his wet nose, "I missed you too." I let another laugh out as Bear attempts to lick my face once more before I drop him back to the ground.

Bear was an old man, yet he still acted like he was a puppy. He was almost 13 years old, however, still going strong despite the old age. He'd been with me a majority of my life, my family gifting him to me as a birthday present when I turned six. To this day, he has been the absolute best present I have ever received.

"You know what time it is?" I smile at him, squatting down to his height so that I could ruffle a hand through his fur, "Weekly Gracie breakdown time" I nod, waving my hand inside, "c'mon bud."

Bears ear quirk up immediately, his tongue hanging a bit out of his mouth as he lets out a bark in response, most likely along the lines of "really, again?"

The two of us trot through the house, throwing a few of my things onto the couch before making my way to the backyard. Bear is right on my heels, following me through the backyard and to the direction of the treehouse.