13

"Let's just get this over with," Shane grumbles under his breath as he walks with his family on the trail to Sam's house. Jas, who wears her favorite purple dress for the occasion, skips ahead of the two, and it seems only Marnie had heard what he said.

"Aw, it won't be that bad. You can probably get away with hanging out with Jas."

"If I'm lucky. I'm an adult, but I'm not very good at talking to other people my age. They're gonna expect me to talk like one."

"I know, hun. I'll help you all I can tonight. Don't stress too much about it."

Though Shane is tempted to make another cynical remark, he keeps his mouth shut as Jas' pace slows down to match theirs. He just wishes Elle was here to calm him down - she can in ways Marnie could never. Or he could go to dinner with her instead of all these unfamiliar people.

Unfortunately, that isn't an option. He has to endure this.

The rest of the walk there is filled with silence, each of the family members lost in their own thoughts. Shane can feel himself growing even more nervous as they near the house, wondering if they'll patronize him or not. Is that acceptable to do? Criticize the incompetent guests that you welcome into your home? He doesn't even know anymore. His entire life, he's had an incredible lack of social awareness in settings like these, and that shines through especially now.

Marnie knocks on the door, Jas standing behind her. She's holding Shane's hand, and he wonders if she did it to help herself or him. Jodi opens the door wearing a plum dress, braided hair, and a welcoming smile. She opens the door wider for Marnie, smiles at Jas, and gives a small nod towards Shane. "Hey! Glad you could make it! Come on in and sit at the table."

The three head inside, taking a seat at the kitchen table. Shane sits in between Marnie and Jas, while on the other side of Jas sits Vincent. Across from the four are Sam and Jodi. Shane nervously fidgets with his hands in his lap as Jodi sets down plates of fried fish. "I hope everyone likes fish!" she smiles.

"Yes, ma'am! I haven't had fish in a long time," Marnie responds with just as much enthusiasm. By now, Vincent and Jas are talking, so he can't resort to her to calm himself. Though Shane does enjoy fish, he doesn't have much of an appetite for any food.

He could kill for a beer right about now.

All he's really had lately has been sparkling water, but that just doesn't do it for him.

But beer? That would calm him.

Jodi's voice fills the silence that had taken place. "So, what does everyone want to drink? I have water, soda, and wine for the adults."

Shane's stomach drops at the mention of wine. He feels Marnie shoot a look at him to stay strong, but he feels himself only tense up even more.

"I'll take some water," Marnie smiles. "Shane will too."

Shane exhales slightly, worried that if he opened his mouth, the word 'wine' would come out involuntarily. The kids and Sam ask for soda, and Jodi says she'll just get wine for herself. A few minutes later, she comes back with drinks and hands everyone what they ordered.

And now the real fun begins; small talk.

As Shane works on the piece of fish overtaking his plate, Jodi is the first to speak. "So, how has everyone been?"

"I've been pretty good," Marnie answers first. "Business has been going well lately."

"I've been pretty good as well," Sam adds, mostly talking to the others than his mom. She already knows what's happening in his life, after all. "I'm going to head to college soon."