9: A Stranger with Answers

Start from the beginning

He settled a hand on her head, all anger having disappeared from his eyes. In its place she saw concern. "Your attachment to him worries me," he commented softly.

She stepped away abruptly, feeling a slight blush warming her cheeks. "I'm not attached."

Simon ignored her denial. "We don't know who he is, Beth."

She turned from him, stepping to his desk and fiddling with the lids on his ink jars. "He speaks as if he's from the peerage."

Her brother had lost the energy to argue. "Just... be careful, sister-mine. And no more visits after dark."

She nodded, casting him a slight smile. As she left, he sank back into his chair, casting a look at the portrait of his parents that hung across the wall.

"Did I do the right thing?"

As usual, he received no reply.

.

After an unsettled night without answers, Simon found Vincent in the library early the next morning.

"Good morning Vin. I could use your assistance for a moment, if you're not too busy."

His brother shook his head no and lowered the book he'd been reading, following Simon down to the servants' quarters and into John's room. If Vin was surprised or confused, he didn't show it.

The injured man was already awake. "Good morning." His tone said he was surprised. The Humphrey brothers had, each of their own accord, decided to check in on him every day, but they rarely stayed, and they never came in groups.

And Simon was never frowning.

"What are your intentions with our sister?"

Vincent's eyes widened and he glanced at Simon in surprise. John however just looked confused, and his gaze dropped to the other side of the bed.

"He means his other sister." The dry comment emerged before the head did, and Phil popped up suddenly as she rose from the floor. She smiled in greeting at her brothers before turning her attention back to John. "He means Beth."

As per usual with Phil, Simon didn't know whether to be angry or amused. He was inclined towards appreciation though, as he watched the colour drain from John's face with satisfaction.

"Oh," the man said, swallowing heavily, "That sister." He took a fortifying breath, wincing as it pulled against his injured ribs, and then returned Simon's gaze evenly. "B-Lady Elizabeth is lovely." He watched Simon draw breath to interrupt so continued quickly. "But I do not know who I am. Not my station, my profession... not my family. I am not in a position to make promises or to have... intentions."

John knew that this conversation should be awkward or uncomfortable, that if it were taking place in any other circumstance it would be akin to Simon calling him out, but it didn't feel that way. Despite Simon's tone, it felt like a friendly reminder that everything that he was beginning to covet might be farther out of his reach than he could possibly imagine.

Simon seemed satisfied with his response, issuing a sharp nod just as there was a loud thump at the front door. Vincent nodded at both men and then turned to investigate. It was too early in the morning for visitors and the staff were still preparing the household, so he was unsurprised to find neither Mr Grayson nor a footman in the foyer. The knocking came again just as he reached the door. He opened it with a frown.

The man outside was framed with the morning light and Vincent's eyes narrowed further into a squint. For his own comfort, he stepped back into the foyer and swept an arm wide to encourage the man to enter. He did, looking remarkably at ease for a stranger. And as Vincent assessed him, he confirmed that he was indeed a stranger.