#6b. Part Finale

Don’t leave, Rishabh!” Prerna murmured, her heart aching.

“Mamma?!”

Prerna looked up, trying to wipe her tears when tiny fingers came forward and wiped her eyes.

“What happened, Samidha?” Prerna asked hoarsely, a smile finding her lips.

Samidha shook her head, “Your smile is not reaching your eyes. And why are you sitting here? Should you not tell Dad not to leave you?” Samidha asked innocently.

“Dad?!” Prerna asked confused.

“Haan,  Rishabh dad asked me to call him dad just like Kukki didi does”, Samidha smiled.

“And what about Anur…I mean your papa?”
Samidha tilted her head, “He is my papa too. Dad told me that if he can have two daughters, why can’t I have two dads? And he said that relationships are based on love. I love papa and dad both”.

Prerna smiled despite the situation. Just what is Mr. Bajaj even made of?

“But you love dad more, don’t you?”
Prerna jolted at this question, her heart well aware of her hesitance to part from Rishabh.

Samidha spoke yet again, her mother’s turmoil visible. “You will forever be my mamma, no matter who you are with. You worry about me, na ?But I like Rishabh dad very much, he is my hero. So, mamma I don’t want you to be sad just like I’ve been till I met you, Dad, papa and Kukki didi”.

Prerna cupped Samidha’s face and pressed a chaste kiss against her forehead, “You have the best of everyone in you. I’m so lucky to have you”. And with that, Prerna grabbed the sheets scattered on the floor and hurried out of the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Kukki continued nibbling on her nails, her gaze darting back and forth between mandap and the staircase. Where was Prerna?!

“Mangalsutra bandhiye!”

“Koi zaroorat nhi hai!” Prerna’s voice echoed into the hall,as she strode towards the mandap and stood facing Rishabh. “I refuse to sign the divorce papers, so this marriage cannot happen!” And with that she fed the papers to the blaze of holy fire.
Rishabh’s fingers let go of the mangalsutra, as he wiped sweat off his forehead. Prerna had stopped this marriage and that’s all that mattered. He pushed himself onto his feet and pulled out his phone from his sherwani pocket and opened his mail. He was going to call the merger meeting today now that this issue was done with!

Menka shouted loudly as she pushed the veil off her face,and fanned it. “Thank god, it was so hot in there. I nearly died!”

Rishabh rolled his eyes. He knew it. It had been about Kukki. As he saw a small grin tearing at Kukki’s lips, he could not help but smile. It had been Kukki.

As Rishabh’s phone came alive, he pressed it to his ears,removing the assortment of ornaments weighing him down. “Yes, Mehra schedule the meeting for—” his eyes moved to his wrist and after a beat, he finished.“—6 pm”

“And where are you going?” Prerna asked baffled.

“I have an important meeting to attend, Mrs Bajaj.”

“You are not going anywhere!” Prerna remarked, pulling phone away from him, “Shaadi toh hogi yahan aur wo bhi hamari”.

Rishabh passed Prerna a look of disbelief, “We are already married, Prerna. What’s the point? It’s a hassle!”

“Point hai. Things are different now. Up till now—

Rishabh interrupted, a headache building up. “What is so different? We are, where we had been, 8 years back. Me, hopelessly in love and you—