#6. Fake confession- TS

Part 1

Marry me, Rishabh!”

Someone sputtered. A glass of wine shattered. A smile formed.

Rishabh blinked hard at the woman who had went down on one knee, in front of him. Facial expressions still neutral by default, he fished out a handkerchief from his trouser pocket and suavely wiped his mouth followed by brushing clean the lapels of his coat that had been stained red by his sputtering. Who could fault him for being surprised?! His ex-wife had just proposed to him.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and snuck a glance to his right side. If the broken shards of the wine glass were a proof enough, she was just as shocked. Well, unlike him her widened chocolate browns hadn’t made an attempt to gloss over her expressions.

Rishabh finally sighed, “What is this nonsense, Menka?”

The aforementioned woman widened her olive green eyes, distaste clearly evident by the twist of her lips. “That’s not how you respond to a proposal, Rishabh”.

In response the man smirked, his eyes meeting a similar pair of obsidian ones on his far left side. “I do, when your intentions are as clear as a day”.

Menka opened and closed her mouth like a fish. Rishabh only shook his head in disbelief. “Kukki isn’t that eas—

“Woooowww!!” A squeal echoed cutting him off, following by creaking of sneakers against the wooden floorboard and soon his teenage daughter, stood by his side, glitter in her eyes putting stars to shame.

“Say yes na, dad, pleeeease!”, 16 year old Kukki clasped her palms in plea, jumping on her feet like a rabbit gone insane.

Rishabh internally groaned. Kukki seriously was forgetting something, or rather someone very significant.

“Kukki, Mr. Bajaj is already married”, Finally the silence was broken as the bearer of browns, draped in turquoise sequins stepped forward, her heels crunching the shards to smithereens.

“I know, Prerna”, Kukki responded without batting an eye, her excitement just as strong and continued, “But isn’t this a chance for you too?Reconcile with Anurag!”

Prerna flinched then but schooling her face turned to Rishabh, having decided that teenage was not the age for rationalities. “Why are you so quiet? Speak up”, Prerna half glared, as Rishabh nodded.

“Kukki is right though, Prerna”. Prerna had opened her mouth to retort when Rishabh raised a finger and continued, “Hear me out, will you?!You finally have your daughter, Samidha with you. Mr. Basu, as we all have got to know never did betray you. Even though, his incapabilities are not worth being excused, I believe Samidha deserves to be with her father, especially when he dotes on her so much. And also, you still have Mr. Basu in your heart so why not?”

“Exactly, Prerna!” Kukki interjected making Rishabh close his eyes in exasperation.

“And vese bhi, you’ve always said that the person who loves you can make you happy. Menka mom loves dad. Dad gets a shot at being happy too. Isn’t that what you would’ve wanted for him, and you too?”

Prerna pressed her lips, her fists clenched. She could not just snatch Samidha from Anurag, with Komolika out of their lives for good,Samidha could get her father too. But…

Her line of thoughts trailed as she saw Rishabh. He deserved to be happy too. His share of love that she had never given him, if Menka was willing to give it, then there was no harm, was there?

“Oh, and you don’t have to worry about the divorce agreement. Mr. Mehra will have the papers made at the earliest!”

“You are awfully prepared”, Rishabh narrowed his eyes suspiciously at his daughter who only chuckled in response.