1: A Plan in the Making

Start from the beginning

He was interrupted by a thump as she settled a ledger in front of him, pointing to a row of numbers on the right page. He studied them briefly, and then looked at her askance. "Are you sure those are accurate? If I remember correctly, the ..."

And just like that, Beth's declaration was put to the side. She was not to know though, as she had cornered another two siblings in the parlour. Matthew William Humphrey was the youngest Humphrey child, excepting Phil. Despite not inheriting a title, he had pursued no profession and generally spent his time at his gentleman's club or at balls. He had a suitably rakish reputation, which irked Beth no-end, and was almost never without a broad grin on his face. Even now, as she repeated what she had said to Simon, he smiled at her over his glass of brandy.

"Whatever you say, Beth," he said cheerfully, raising his drink to her.

Her lips pursed. "And why exactly are you foxed at four in the afternoon?"

"I'm not – I'm merely cubbed." He winked.

From across the room, their other brother just shook his head, not even bothering to raise his eyes from his paper and grant attention to Matt's antics. With a sigh of frustration, Beth moved purposefully across the room to settle on the other half of the settee he occupied. She made a deliberate turn towards him, her hands clasped tightly in her lap.

"Bart," she implored, her gaze fixed on his stern profile. "Please help me."

Bartholomew Edgar Humphrey, Earl of Hurst after inheriting the title from their uncle, folded his paper somewhat reluctantly before turning his full attention to his younger sister. He was second only in age to Simon, and whilst their eldest brother would comfort and support them until he was blue in the face, Bart would move mountains for them. Square-jawed and brawny, he was a man of action.

"Why is no one entertained by my 'cubbed' jest? I thought it was quite amusing."

And Matt was barely a man.

They ignored him.

"I thought you didn't want to be married, Beth. How am I to help if that is the case?"

She winced slightly. "Perhaps I exaggerated," she conceded, not meeting his eyes. "I do wish to marry – more than almost anything – but..." She hesitated.

"But?" Bart was unflinchingly direct.

She squirmed in her seat. "But... I am too plain! And I am getting too old! And all of my friends are engaged this season, so I shall have nothing to occupy me at the balls! And I will be all alone!" Once her fears began to fall off her tongue, she couldn't stop them. Neither could she modulate her tone, though she knew she was getting more and more shrill as she went. By the end, she was panting for breath, and a quick glance at Matt revealed that her volume had sobered him up rather nicely.

Bart looked her over quickly. "You are not striking, it's true." Simon would have never agreed with that – this was why she needed Bart. "But you are hardly plain, Beth. You have an excellent dowry and you come from a well-respected family. I am certain there is more interest than you would suppose."

Beth took a deep breath and asked the most painful question to the only person she knew who would give her an honest answer. "Be truthful Bart; do you believe I can find a good match this season?"

His gaze was unwavering. "Without doubt. Simon and I have many a decent man in our acquaintance, and if we exclude any that are silly enough to also be friends with Matt then we should have a manageable list with which to begin."

His sister couldn't hold in her giggle when Matt let out a grunt of protest.

"And what of Vincent?" she asked with another laugh. "Should his friends be included or excluded from the list?"