Chapter 19: Answers

They were brought into the next room, which was much larger and much more lavishly furnished. There was a long Persian-style carpet that stretched from the door to a couch piled with cushions. The couch was placed in front of a large rock, which was pinpointed by a beam of light that came from the ceiling. The rock was flat and smooth on the top, and a slightly grey-haired slender man in the garb of the Tai Hirom was sitting atop it, legs crossed and head bent in silent meditation.

            He looked up as Natalie entered silently and gracefully. He stood and swung off the rock and stood in front of the couch, gazing at her as she walked the length of the carpet. He lifted his voice in greeting. “Hail, Miss Diego, bea Ishmaka, pride of Aklan, and friend of the Hirom! I have much to speak to you about.”

            She stood before him and bowed the bow of highest respect in the way of the Hirom, bowing the head and kneeling with both arms bent towards each other, middle fingertips touching.

            He laughed and took her hands. “A warrior and lady such as you should not need to bow before me! Come now, rise Ishmaka.”

            She laughed quietly and rose, her hands in his. “Master, I must make our visit a short one, for I was in pursuit, and have left the trail to come before you.”

            His happy eyes saddened, and he looked down. “I must hear your tale. I need to know why you and these five others were above my lair and sanctuary, in the air ducts of all places, without my permission.”

            Natalie sighed. “It is a long tale, but here is the short of it. I was happy in my new life, but two friends were twisted by a dark power to betray me, and my enemies have imprisoned most of my school. I escaped with three friends, and pursued the betrayers to your very doorstep. I felt something and knew that they were leading us to a place of great power, but I did not know it was the Grand Hall of Tai Hirom. I apologize for our intrusion, but I would have you know it was not intentional on our part.”

            He thought on this and nodded. “I sense more to this than you say, but I will not press it. You do not know the whole of it yet, am I correct?”

            She bowed her head. “There is much of this that troubles me, not only for my sake, but for countless others as well. And there is a riddle that began it all I have not yet deciphered.”

            “A riddle? Could I hear it?”

            She thought a moment and recited slowly.

The time grows short, our patience thin.

The winter comes, without, within.

Tarry not, hurry please,

or all your assets we will freeze.

Winter‘s here, be afraid.

With all respect, Orphan Slayed.

            She sighed. “There is much more to this than meets the eye, I just know it. My accusers assumed I knew it, and tried to pin me in with it. I believe they thought it was mine, but I had never heard it before that. I was wishing earlier that I could ask you your take on it, and I can see my prayer was answered.”

            He looked into her eyes thoughtfully. “Hmmm. Much has happened, I see. I cannot tell you the meaning with surety, but I can tell you what I believe it may mean. But first let us sit.”

            He led her to the couch and they sat together. He looked up and saw the three standing at the other end of the hall. “Well Ishmaka, it seems that we forgot something, did we not?” He grinned broadly and beckoned. “You must be Natalie‘s loyal companions. Come forward and talk with us.”