Scary Movies and Spilled Drinks

Dustin was incredibly excited as he drove Vincent over to Lucas' complex. He rambled on about how cool it was that his roommate was so close with the Lucas Marshall, and Vinny just smiled along and nodded. He wasn't very close to Dustin, and felt a little used. He liked Dustin, and there was nothing wrong with the boy, but sometimes Vincent felt like he only cared when he was talking about Lucas.

       When they reached the door one of Lucas' friends greeted them, and led them into the living room, where a small group of teenagers sat around the television. It was by no means a party, but still Vinny felt that the group was thoroughly rowdy enough to sound like one. Still, Vincent hoped it would settle into a more chilled hangout.

"Hey, Vinny." Lucas said standing as Vincent entered the room. He wrapped his arm around the smaller boy's shoulders, stepping in between him and Dustin. "And you're..? Don't tell me. Dustin?" Lucas asked. Dustin beamed at the fact that Lucas remembered his name.

"Yes, Lucas Marshall." He said as he shook Lucas' other hand. Lucas gave him a curious half smile and let his arm slip from Vincent's shoulders. Lucas sat down on the couch and patted for Vincent to join him, and Dustin sat down next to Vincent.

"That's..." Lucas began pointing to people around the room. Vincent saw a couple people he recognized from the party, but not the one person he was dreading seeing; Marty.

"Where's Marty?" Vinny wondered aloud, instantly regretting choosing to speak up.

"He's coming late." Lucas responded his smile faltering slightly. The boys decided they wanted to watch a scary movie, and the lights were turned off so they could focus.

    When Lucas sat back down from fiddling with the remote, Vincent was extremely aware of how close the soccer player was to him. Vincent had always hated scary movies, but didn't want to ruin the fun.

       Dustin's face lit up with screen and he smiled in delight as the friend group stupidly spit up to hide from the killer. Vinny pushed his head into his sleeve covered hands, jumping slightly with the screams. Suddenly there was a warm sensation by his ear, as he felt somebody's breath tickle his cheek.

"I forgot you hated scary movies." Lucas whispered. "Here. Squeeze my hand if you get scared." He said offering one hand, the other rested comfortably on Vincent's back. Vinny looked up at Lucas and smiled taking his hand.

       Perhaps it was weird to hold hands with a platonic friend. Perhaps Vinny didn't care.

        The movie played on for a few moments, and Vincent gathered his courage to look up, until a jump-scare, and then he clamped down on Lucas' hand.

"Monster grip." Lucas chuckled, and Vincent sheepishly let go of his hand. Lucas' eyes lingered a moment flashing down for a second so quick Vincent was sure he had imagined it.

"What?" Vincent asked.

"You're cute when you're scared." Lucas leaned over again and whispered in Vincent's ear sending shivers down his spine. Vinny bit his lip nervously. "Oh.. uh... I meant you're—"

"It's Marty here to start the party!" A voice boomed, and Lucas and Vincent practically shot apart on the couch. Dustin looked over and gave them a funny look.

       "What're you guys up to?" Marty asked too loudly for the movie. A few people greeted him, and one of the girls from the party, Sarah, motioned for him to sit down next to her. Instead he walked over and sat in between Lucas and Vincent forcing them to move apart. "Make some room boys." He chuckled, and Vinny rolled my eyes already annoyed with Marty's attitude. Out of spite Sarah shushed him and returned to watch the movie. Vincent was envious of her, she got to sit alone.