Groups

"Okay, so... You guys were great at Homecoming last Friday. Congratulations, by the way..." Emily said, as she sat on her bench in front of the glee kids, smiling when they all cheered excitedly. "And we've worked some individual strengths, easing the new kids into the show choir world, however, this world in particular is a competitive one."

"That's right." Sam nodded from his place near the white board as all the kids turned to look at him instead. "And all of you are part of one of the four glee groups that we have in this school, which means, all of you will — this year, or whenever you are ready if you're in the Varsity team —, all of you will compete eventually."

Again, the room was filled with cheers, applause and excited whistling. Emily smiled then as she turned to Sam for a second only to receive a nod from him, letting her know she could continue with their class.

"So, therefore, this week, we will be working with these teams." She said, as soon as the excitement died down for a second. "You have shown us your set of skills individually, and, for the new kids, you've gotten to explore more of yourselves with some of the older kids, but now, it's time to stop looking at the me's and start looking at the us, instead."

"Which is why, your assignment for the week is..." Sam trailed off dramatically as the kids stomped their feet for dramatic effect as their teacher wrote their lesson for the week on the board. Emily smiled fondly then, shaking her head — the drama that could come out of a room filled with theater kids... "Groups!"

"Each individual group will prepare a song from a band or a group to perform at the end of the week." Emily explained further as Sam moved from the board to take his seat at the bench beside Emily's. "The Beatles, Guns n Roses, One Direction... The music industry is filled to the brim with good and talented groups with a thousand hits. From classic rock to pop, there's a band for everyone and it will be part of your assignment to come together as a team and decide on your song to perform."

"Exactly, so Ms. Marshall and I will be working with you guys to guide you and help out with whatever you need, but the decisions will be yours to make — and no fighting!" Sam warned, his eyes falling on a few specific students as everyone laughed. "For the Varsity team, the performance will be optional. The rest of you will perform for us during our last meeting of the week. So, any questions?"

And as all the kids basically ignored the teachers and fell into the small circles that were formed of their respective groups talking excitedly about what songs to perform and ideas being thrown around about outfits and set-ups, Sam and Emily exchanged a smile feeling that their idea for the week's assignment would likely go even better than they had imagined.

***

Emily had just finished a Cheerios practice and, after sorting out through some files in her office, she decided to head over to the teacher's lounge. Upon arrival, she noticed some of the teachers there but what really caught her eye was the table at the very back of the room, where Mr. Schue, Ms. Pillsbury, coach Beiste and Sam were sat together, talking animatedly. Coach Beiste, lifting his eyes from his chicken, was the first one to notice Emily standing there and wasted no time in waving her over. Everyone turned around then, smiling at her, as she walked toward them, Sam pulling out the chair beside his as Emily nodded at him in silent thanks and sat down. As soon as she did, the subject among the group started again.

"So, I'm bringing the salad then?" Sheldon asked then, as Emma nodded.

"Emily, what are you doing tomorrow night?" Mr. Schue turned to the younger woman as she raised an eyebrow.

"Tomorrow?" She echoed, causing the Principal to nod. "Nothing, why?"

"Listen... Every month, in the last week we get together at my house for dinner." He explained. "Would you like to come?"