Small town girl

A/N: Here it is... The last chapter... I can't... I can't even believe it, honestly, I-

"Alright, guys, let's settle down." Sam said, as soon as him and Emily walked into the choir room.

The kids obeyed then, all moving to take a seat or another, next to significant others, close to friends. Because, as much as they were all happy to be there in the familiar setting, surrounded by familiar faces, they all knew what this week was going to be and what it meant: it was the last week of the year and that meant...

"Goodbye." Mr. Evans said, as he wrote the word on the white board. "So, we all knew it was coming, huh? The last week of the year, with all the tests out of the way and competitions, all we really have left to do is... Say goodbye."

"Of course, this is not a real goodbye." Emily said, her eyes soft as she looked at some of the kids in front of her, knowing that was going to be one of her last times seeing a few of them. "I mean, my best friends are still the ones I've made in this school. Actually, a few I've only made because I stepped into this very room. So, yes... It might be sad knowing that, after summer vacations, some of us will not be coming back with us for another performance, or for another class that you guys used to share... But I can assure you. This is not an ending, at all. This... Is actually a beginning."

"That's right." Sam nodded, placing a hand over Emily's knee, knowing she was struggling not to cry right there and then. "So... To show you guys exactly that, Ms. Marshall and I put together a little something for you, to thank you all for the amazing year you gave us. For all the lessons you let us teach you and the lessons taught us."

"And, from me... A very special thank you." Emily smiled as the kids returned the gesture. When her eyes lingered on all of her girls from the Trouble Tones, Lizzie sniffled causing Violet to chuckle quietly as she reached a hand over her very emotional girlfriend's leg. "From all the trust you put in me and how well you welcomed me. When I was first coming in to give you guys my first class... The first time I stepped foot in this choir room after years of coming as in a student... I felt so nervous... I didn't know if you'd like me or if I'd be a good teacher. To be honest, I still don't. But one thing is for sure: you made me feel safe and you made me feel happy, every time I came or saw your faces down the hallway... You made me feel like I belonged. And honestly... There's not much more than I could have asked of you."

Sam smiled at her then, nodding at his girlfriend as he reached for his guitar that had been laying beside him. When she nodded back at him, he knew she was ready and so, he started playing.

Emily

Another turning point

A fork stuck in the road

Time grabs you by the wrist

Directs you where to go

Sam

So make the best of this test

And don't ask why

It's not a question

But a lesson learned in time

Both

It's something unpredictable

But in the end it's right

I hope you had the time of your life

And after clapping and cheering for the two teachers — and wiping some tears away, but not everyone needed to hear that — the kids smiled at one another, holding hands or hugging or just bawling. But Ms. Marshall was right. This was more than just some extra-curricular activity, this was more than just glee club; this was family and it didn't matter who went where or how long it would be until they were all reunited again. If there was one thing they knew it was that this wasn't an ending. This was just a new beginning.