5. Gift

Kiara Malhotra

It was sweet of Daniel to offer me a ride home considering my car's at the service and I was planning to hail a cab. He pulled in front of my house and I got out. He got out too and walked with me to the front door.

"Thank you, for the ride." I said as I unlocked the door with my set of keys.

"It's no problem." He said and as I opened the door, the lights were turned off.

"Anyone home?" I asked as I turned to see the living room and suddenly, out of nowhere, confetti was thrown on me.

"Surprise!" The lights turned on and everyone popped out of their hiding places.

"Happy birthday!" Everyone shouted and a big smile broke on my face.

"Oh, my God. Thank you everyone." I said and hugged my family.

"But my birthday is tomorrow," I said and Jai rolled his eyes.

"That's why it is a surprise." He sassed.

"You were in on this?" I turned and asked Daniel.

"Yeah." He said and I gave him a genuine smile.

"Now enough of chitchat. Kiara, I've laid out a dress for you in your room. Change into that quickly and then we'll cut the cake." Mom said and I nodded my head.

"Kiara, be fast or else this greedy brother of yours will eat the cake even before you get to cut it." Dad said and Jai gave him an offended look. Dad cocked an eyebrow at him and he shrugged his shoulders.

"I might just." He said and I shook my head laughing.

I quickly went to my room and got dressed. I was wearing a black off-the-shoulder dress with black heels and simple jewellery. I tied my hair in an half-up-half-down look, leaving few strands framing my face. I did a bit of makeup and walked downstairs.

All the guests were seated in the living room and the loud noise of their chatters and laughing were heard from there. I was walking towards the living room when a hand wrapped around my forearm and pulled me into the guest room on the lower floor.

A shriek left my mouth but a hand clamped itself on my mouth. I heard the door close and soon the lights flicked on. My eyes met with a pair of blue eyes. His hands retreated and were now near my waist.

"May I?" He whispered and I lightly nodded.

He snaked his hands around my waist and brought me to his chest. He grabbed both of my wrists and kept them around his neck after which he rested his hands on my waist once again.

"Daniel, what are you doing?" I whispered.

"Come on. I can hold my fiancé in my arms, can't I?" He playfully said.

"You can..." I left the sentence hanging.

"But?"

"What if anyone sees us? What will they think of us?" I asked as if it was a question of dire importance.

"They'll think, what a lovely pair these two make." He said and I chuckled, narrowing my eyes a bit, at him.

"Quit playing." I said and he nodded.

"The reason I pulled you here, is because I haven't given you your birthday gift yet." He said and picked a box resting on the nearby table.

"Here." He said and I took the box from his hands.

"You really didn't had to." I said but he gestured me to open the gift wrapping on it

"An apron." I pulled it out of the box and thanked him.

"That's from my mom. This one's from me." He said and pulled another box from the inside drawer. This box was a bit smaller from previous but was worth much more. He absolutely didn't have to bring me anything yet he did. It's always the though that counts for me.

"Happy Birthday, Kia." He said and I opened the box to reveal a jaw-dropping-ly beautiful diamond necklace from Tiffany. The diamonds were placed in a drop pattern. When paired with a backless black dress, this can make the whole room stare.

 When paired with a backless black dress, this can make the whole room stare

"Daniel, this is too much. I can't accept this." Even though it's the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen, I can't accept such an expensive gift. It's just too much.

"It's my first gift to you. You're gonna really reject it?" He said making puppy-dog eyes.

"But Daniel..." I said but stopped when he raised his hand and kept it on my heart.

"You wound me, coraźon." He said and I narrowed my eyes at his dramatics. He looks cute though.

"Come on. It's your first birthday celebrating with me." He said and I remained silent for a minute.

"Okay fine. But you're not going to give me any such expensive gift." I said after thinking a bit.

"We'll see." He playfully said.

"Daniel," I warned.

"Come on, it's your party." He said and pulled me out of the room, dodging the conversation.

Oh Daniel! Why're you sweet?

~ Kiara's Dress ~

QOTD: When's your birthday?