When I See You - Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

   "Soon. It's a whole day thing, you know?" Still, I could tell he was wondering why I was so curious.

   I nodded, but my mind was racing. "Uh, so, are you still looking for a pool boy for the summer?"

   Now he looked right at me, intrigued. "We are. James asked the boys for recommendations. Why?"

   "I have a friend... who needs a job."

   "Do I know this friend?" my dad asked, half smiling.

   I shook my head. I didn't bring boys around the house, even if they were my friends. My parents were the type to ask too many questions. It was easier to keep my guy friends and dating life separate from them.

   "Well, James is away in two weeks, so I need someone by then," my dad finished.

   "Okay. Well, will you interview my friend?" I asked, crossing my fingers.

   But my dad laughed. "It's not that formal, Bec. He can start on a trial basis, to see if he likes it and if I like him."

   I swallowed hard. "Just like that?"

   "Sure. Is he over sixteen? Will he be a good worker?" Now my dad looked amused.

   "Yes. And... I think so," I agreed.

   "Fine. Good, then have him come meet me here after school tomorrow?" He finished his coffee and walked to place the mug in the dishwasher. I nodded, so he went on. "Tell mom I'll be back for dinner."

   "Okay," I finished, watching him go.

   SO, YOU HAVE THE JOB, I texted Parker a bit later.

   WAIT, WHAT? he sent back after a few minutes.

   MY DAD SAID THERES NO FORMAL INTERVIEW. CAN YOU MEET HIM AFTER SCHOOL TOMORROW?

   BECCA. WOW. UH, WHAT TIME IS THAT? he asked.

   Right, he didn't go to school.

   LIKE 4PM? I told him.

   WILL YOU BE THERE?

   I'LL BE HERE.

   OKAY. SO I TOLD MY MOM THAT I WANT TO GET A JOB TO HELP OUT, SO WE CAN STAY. SHE WASN'T THRILLED.

   OH. CRAP.

  SHE DOESN'T WANT TO PUT THAT ON ME. AND SHE LIKES THAT IM HOME WITH AIDAN, IF SHE NEEDS TO GO OUT.

   I didn't know what to say to that, so I asked, HOW IS HE TODAY?

   NOT GREAT. HE HAS A SPECIALIST APPOINTMENT TOMORROW.

   LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES?

   OKAY.

   I actually felt like talking to Parker all day, but I did have homework to do. After a shower, I grabbed my school bag and headed to the back yard. Our deck was huge and had a stone patio table. It was my favourite place to do homework, when the weather was nice.

   I'd only been out there for half an hour when my phone rang. I hadn't gotten much homework done, but I answered it anyway.

   "Hey," I said, knowing it was Maddie.

   "Hey, I'm on my way over," she yelled into my ear.

   "Oh. Why?" I asked, confused.

   "Uh, make up trial for Friday? We talked about it yesterday," she said quickly.

   "Oh, right. I'm just doing homework. But yes, I remember," I told her, lying through my teeth.

   "Good, see you in ten, bye babe."

   My mind had been sort of single-track lately, really since Parker and I had become friends. It was the first time I found myself really thinking about a guy, like, all the time.

   When Maddie came in, I was in the kitchen making a sandwich. She was ten minutes later, as usual. She was wearing tight jean shorts and a crop top, her hair in low braids. She was the pretty one in our group. She'd had the boyfriends. She was the most experienced. She had been my best friend since the third grade, though, before she got her boobs and lost of her baby look.

   But Maddie as also hard to impress. She was blunt, which was why I hadn't yet told her about Parker. I just knew she wouldn't like the idea of me being friends with him. I had told Parker that I didn't care what anyone thought, but I did care what Maddie thought.

   We did some different make-up looks and she made me try on both of my dress options for the dance. Maddie was also the fashionista in our group.

   "Blue, for sure. It's perfect," she gushed, after I turned around to show her the second dress. "Oh, who are you going with? Zack?"

   "Zack? No," I said quickly.

   "He likes you. Didn't he ask you to the dance?" Maddie went on.

   Zack Presley was a boy in most of my classes that I'd known since we were fourteen. He was cute and goofy and, well, my friend. I didn't want to go to the year end dance with Zack.

   "He did, but -"

   "You said no to Zack? Oh, you probably broke his heart," Maddie laughed, flopping down onto my bed.

   "He's just not... I don't like him like that," I told her.

   "Oh, Becca. You didn't date anyone this year. And it wasn't like guys aren't interested -"

   "I don't have to be dating someone to be cool, do I?" I asked her, only half joking.

   She sat up again, looking at me. Her face softened. "I obviously didn't mean that, babe. It's just that Teah and I both have dates... I think Val, too."

   I swallowed hard, knowing I to tell her. "I asked Parker."

   "Parker? Your neighbor?" Her eyes were wide.

   I nodded, waiting for her reaction. "We're friends."

   "Since when are you friends with him?" she wanted to know.

   "Since... I don't know."

   "So, you're bringing him to our dance?" She just seemed shocked.

   "Maybe."

   "Isn't he weird? He's homeschooled -"

   "He's not weird. He's actually awesome, Maddie," I interrupted.

   "Oh, wow." She still looked shocked, but she took a breath. "Awesome."

   I spun around and went back to my bathroom to get out of the dress and when I went back to my room - full dressed - Maddie was on her phone. I glanced at Parker's window, but his curtain was closed.

   "Don't judge him, or me," I said to Maddie, still feeling annoyed.

   "I didn't." She looked up from her phone and looked right at me.

   "Good. Parker is... he's really cute and he smart and... he's great." I felt like I had to explain to her why I liked him, or why we were friends.

   "Okay, geez. I didn't now you liked him so much. You didn't tell me," she accused me, then grinned.

   "Well, I knew you'd react like -"

   "Like what?" she asked, holding back a laugh.

   "Just... be nice, when you meet him. Okay?" I begged.

   Maddie nodded, then laughed. "When am I not nice?"