Car Rides and Carrying On

Start from the beginning

     "Whaaaaaahhht?" He said sitting up slightly.

     "Nothing Lu go back to sleep." Vincent whispered.

     "Are you alright buddy?" Marty sat up and looked in his rear view mirror to check on Lucas.

     "Vinny t-took care of me... we's married youse know." Lucas slurred and Vincent flinched at the memory he brought back.

     "Aren't you a little young to be married?" Marty asked shooting a look.

     "No. I mean yes, but we aren't married." Vincent assured, and was immediately met with sniffles from the back of the car. "Are you crying Lu?"

     "You d-don't want to be m-married to me anymore." He cried.

     "Of course I do." Vinny said softly.

     "So you are married?" Marty said with a grin.

     "No." Vincent half shouted.

     "Aaaahhhhhhhh?" Lucas whined.

     "Lucas!" Vincent shouted. He sat up and wiped his eyes.

     "I don't like it when you call me Lucas. I like it when you call me Lu." He said almost clearly then slumped back over.

     "You didn't make that any easier on me. You know that?" Vincent scolded Marty once Lucas seemed to be out for the time being.

     "Wasn't trying to." He smirked.

     "Of course you weren't. That would be helpful." Vincent shot back.

     "I am driving you home aren't I?" Marty half shouted.

     "I THOUGHT YOU WERE ONLY DOING THAT FOR LUCAS!" Vincent's voice rose, earning a groan from Lucas in the back.

     "You're cute when you're angry." Marty chuckled.

      "Shut up." Vincent shot back, being sure to whisper for Lucas' sake. "If Lucas didn't need you I'd kill you."

     "Yeah.. if he didn't need me. Speaking of, you'd better be careful around Lucas. You know that, right?" Marty asked, changing the subject.

     "What do you mean?" Vincent prodded.

"Just be careful is all I'm saying. Lucas is a good dude, don't take him for granted. He's... talked about you before, and he said you weren't friends anymore, but now you're back, and you're friends again, so just..."

"Be careful?" Vinny finished for him. "I would never try to hurt Lucas."

"I should hope not.. but you certainly have before." Marty accused.

"That's not entirely fair. I've hurt Lucas, sure, but Lucas has definitely hurt me too. It took two people to end a friendship."

"Yeah but Lucas is my friend, so I care if he gets hurt. So if you don't want to be back in his life, then you should just go now before you can cause any more damage." Marty suggested.

     "Lucas is my friend too, and I've known him a whole lot longer than you have." Vincent stated. "I don't want to hurt him. I never wanted to hurt him, we just grew up and things got complicated. Life got complicated."

      "So what?" Marty asked, his thick eyebrows arched in genuine interest. "My life is complicated and I still have friends."

      "Count your blessings for that. Things can change." Vincent said, trying to remember exactly what happened, but he couldn't quite.