9 - hufflepuff

Later that evening, after dinner, Athena and her friends walked back to the common room, where she would wait for eight o clock to roll around.

She asked Hermione if she would come but she thought it 'un-prefect like' to be sneaking alcohol into Hogwarts and had a rant about how Cedric should know better, being Head Boy and all. So of course, Hermione was not willing to come along. She asked Harry and Ron too but they couldn't be bothered so she gave up trying to get people to come with her.

They slumped down next to the fire place, their stomachs full to the brim with their dinner. Today on the menu was fish and chips which was a rare meal in Hogwarts considering the kitchen usually took fancy to potatoes, vegetables and some form of meat.

"Harry, what did you mean earlier when you said Malfoy is a Death Eater?" Athena whispered to Harry who was sitting next to her on the sofa.

"That he's working for Voldemort,"he said bluntly.

"Well yes, I know what a Death Eater is but why would you think that?"she asked.

"He's been sneaking off somewhere. He didn't play today for a start, which is unusual. Remember third year when he 'broke' his arm? He had the whole game moved. And that's only one thing," he explained, his voice low so only the three of them could hear.

"You're jumping to conclusions,"Hermione said.

"Alright Hermione, lets see shall we,"he sulked, obviously frustrated by Hermione's lack of faith in his knowledge.

Athena had no idea what to think. Before Harry had said that today, she hadn't thought anything of it. But looking back on the past month, she realised small things which could hint it.

There was his ever-growing ill appearance. He'd been so pale as of recently, he seemed much skinnier, his face gaunt and not to mention the deep shape of grey-purple under his eyes.

And then what Harry said about the Quidditch game seemed very likely. If there was anything known about Draco it's that he was competitive, always wanting to be the best. He wouldn't dare miss a Quidditch game prior to today's match.

  Due the focus on her thoughts, Athena hadn't realised that their conversation had changed. They spoke of Ron and Lavender, which he was still planning their breakup. Athena could tell Hermione was pleased though she was ever so discreet.

  They sat around for a while chatting until Athena realised the time; it was five to eight.

"Shite I've got to go,"she said, standing up. She waved goodbye to her friends which they returned by saying, "have fun".

From across the room, she could see Isaac Shire coming from the boys dormitories. He nodded when he saw her and walked towards her.

"Hi, you going to Hufflepuff?"he asked, ruffling his hair.

"Yes I am,"she smiled.

"Cool let's get going then,"he said. They walked out together through the portrait.

"So how are you? I don't think I've seen you since..."he trailed off to think.

"Three broomsticks,"she finished for him.

"Ah yes. When that Malfoy git nearly killed me,"he grumbled humorously. "I promise you I'm stronger than I look."

"I wouldn't say you look weak,"she chuckled.

"Well then. That's just embarrassing,"he sighed. "I was wasted! There's my excuse."

She laughed in response as they walked down the stairs.