1. Lost

Warning: This fanfic contains swearing, a bit of graphic violence, booze, smoking, and trauma. 

A/n: Rewrote ch. 19-65. Chapters heavily rewritten will have a "*" at the *title* so old readers can scroll to the bottom and see what changes I've made. At one point I'll edit or perhaps rewrite 1-18, but I'd like to at least finish season 8 of the fic. Thanks for sticking with me, I hope these changes better your reading <3

==========

Time is constantly spent and lost forever, memories being all that stay. Some are so good you hold on to them like a lifeline... While others are so bad you wish to forget them. You do, whether you like it or not. Whether they were pleasant or awful it didn't matter, you search their empty space, now room for new ones. You take those with all you have left. They are all you have left. They grow in the crevices of your heart, brushing it with warmth or pricking you with hurt.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cold to the bone. As if your body fell into a winter waterfall and your head banged against the jagged rocks that met the water. Falling and falling, you crashed to the ground, the wind knocked painfully out of you. Everything is fuzzy, your ringing ears dulled over with screams. The stupid headache worsened as your lungs took in the air with a dry gasp... And then your eyes snapped wide open. Reflected in them are the faces of hostile villagers under a black sky, fear rotting them to the core. They were frozen as you sat up and a stronger, piercing ache pounded on your skull. You clutched under your hood, their panic high as you touched what it is. Something chill to the touch and smooth on your skin, its material glistening jade. It is a mask of jade. You ran your fingers on it, brushing a confusing familiarity. But you don't have time to think about it. The wind howled, stirring the restless dead grass around you. Whispers haunted the night, floating from the graves.

"It's the evil spirit!" One of the people shrilled at you, "They brought back the dead!"

"What are you talking..." An icy hand clamped on your shoulder. Your head whipped behind you, and you saw a dead woman. A ghost. You couldn't move- you couldn't believe it. None of it made sense. Nothing in your strangely empty mind. She laughed, you couldn't tell if it was at you or not before she phased out, leaving a bruising grip. That was all it took for the fingers to point blame, ignoring your plain fear as you rushed to their side.

"Don't come near us!" People screeched at you as they pushed you back into the center. "Stay back!"

"No, no you don't understand-!" Nothing you said would get through.

"You fell from the sky- and then this happened! I think it's pretty clear!"

"Perhaps they themselves are a ghost- no a demon!"

"I'm not- I'm-"

"Did you see how still they were, like they were dead, and suddenly they woke up?"

"What about their mask? It has broken horns!"

"They're obviously planning something!"

"I bet they're controlling our loved one's spirits!"

"It's all a trick!"

"They'll kill us! They'll make us fall in line!"

"We need to kill them-"

"I'm innocent!!!" An outburst so desperate, they stared in shock, and soon it was your turn. Soft whispers cracked the tense quiet. Tiny, turquoise lights swirled upwards from the grounds to your side. All the restless spirits appeared to see, curiously gazing at you, as the villagers let fear grasp them.