10. My Car Breaks Down

Start from the beginning

It was already eleven pm at night. I hopped in my car setting off the engine driving randomly through New York City.

All of my deepest memories began hitting me as I looked up at the stars while driving. They waded through my solar glass and sparkled in my eyes each time I blinked or came in contact with them. The streets lights painted my windows orange each time I drove by one. My car was the only one alone driving near an alley way downtown. For a city that never sleeps that's a first.

Driving my life away, my car began acting up. It began slowing down each time I stepped on the gas pedal verbatim.

"Crap!" I slapped my hand on the steering wheel. The car shut down vibrating out of power. I stepped out of the car and slammed the door aggressively.

"Seriously, you're supposed to be fast and furious you stupid car. Fuck you Audi," I searched in my leather jacket pockets for my phone. "And I left my phone at home. God must be getting back at me for stealing a pair of shades from Forever 21." I hissed rubbing my hands all over my jeans looking for my phone.

"Look I swear It will be and only be a one time thing. I'm sorry I couldn't get up to praise to you, matter of fact take those shades. I should've paid, but God you've gotta understand that I'm not perfect. I swear I'll be in the house of your worships, bow down, and pray like never before!" I screamed loud enough for the darkness to hear me. I walked away from my car and strode onto the pavements that carried me near the closest payphone I can get my hands on." I don't know how this works but aren't you suppose to like. . .I don't know struck my car with lightening and then boom my engine is running like the wind?" No response, the sky stared back at me like someone whose unresponsive. 

As I was turning away to cross the street I waved at a car that I stood in front of and commanded it to stop. The vehicle almost ran over me as I slammed my hands on the hood and waved my hands in the air. The car stopped immediately. I ran towards the passenger seat window and knocked on the window. The bass coming from the vehicle blew me away when the windows rolled down. I couldn't see the person driving the car just yet as street lights began igniting the stranger's face.

"Hi my car broke down. You wouldn't mind giving a girl a ride no?" I hoped whether the driver would accept my request and drive me back home."Look today isn't my day. My blow dryer caught on fire. My best friend is out having a great time. And I'm far away from home. I'm out of gas!" I said pointing at my car.

"Sounds Legit!" that husky deep voice I remembered.

"I'm sorry what!?"

"Look Ellah why are you out here at this time anyway?" He man revealed his identity.

"Who are-" I was cut off.

"Deion fool!" His laugh enlightened me a bit. Relieved, but a bit frightened.

"Oh snap!" I said covering my mouth trying not to show my embarrassing laugh.

"Get in Princess." He opened his car door and I hopped in warming up my hands to stop the numbness of the cold air from giving the tip of my fingers frost bites.

"Thanks for the drive Deion!" I smiled at him. He returned a smile back. "How did you--" He immediately cuts me off but my train of thought had become completely forgotten when he asked me something else.