34. Black Beauty

(ELLAH)

          I felt like ass waking up this morning. All the dancing and getting dangerously drunk made feel weak. I woke up with a wicked headache. I couldn't open my eyes wide enough to view what's in front of me. I looked around my room. Same old, same old. Nothing came in or out. My door was practically closed shut. Please tell me nothing crazy went down last night?

My house phone began ringing. I looked at the caller ID hoping it was someone other than Emily. I love her but I'm not in the mood to gossip and rant about unesessary things. I could careless about whatever is going on in the outside world anyway. This headache is getting the best of me.

"Yes?" I answered in tired tone. I pushed my head back on my pillow slowly closing my eyes. I forced myself to relax and ease the pain in my head.

"Ellah where are you?" My fathers voice frightened me. He yelled loud enough for me to quickly pull the phone away from my ear.

"What's wrong?"

"We're having dinner at my house right now. Why aren't you here already?" Oh shoot I forgot all about the Anniversary dinner.

"Oh sorry dad. Can you give me like twenty-five minutes and I'll get ready."He agreed and quickly hung up. I dashed to the bathroom as fast as I can. Looking at myself in the mirror, the skin under my eyes sagged and my skin seemed pale. Brighter than ever before. I was a walking zombie.

My mascara made huge dark circles under my eyes. It looked like someone punched me in the eyes.

I hopped in the shower not giving two rats ass about what happened last night. My headache seemed to be getting worse the more I tried to remember everything.

Stop hurting you endless headache.

        After I cooled off and looked like a normal human being, there was comeplete silence in the house. I didn't know where this silence is coming from but this weird morning is atypical. I looked at the time on my watch unhurriedly. Am I in the twilight zone? No you're not in a fucking twilight zone dumbass!

      I didn't discover any loud bass of music coming from the backyard. I didn't hear the television on high volume. Everything was back to the way it was when I first purchased the house and had it all to myself.

    I couldn't stand in the hallway and contemplate about my surroundings all day. I'm already running late for Lonnie and Angie's anniversary dinner and here I am trying to comprehend my environment in my own home. I shook my head. I grabbed my purse, cellphone and keys. I walked out my house greeting my Jewish neighboors who recently came back from vacation.

___

I walked inside the house looking around in sight for anyone--anything.

"Who has a dinner at twelve pm in the afternoon?" I asked myself walking into the house. I pulled down my dress and stood up straight, chin up, now I smile.

    My father walked into the living room holding plates in his hands. He didn't notice me yet until I greeted him. He looked at me with a confused expression on his face. I gave the same look back in return.

"Daddy." I poked him on the chest.

"I swear you are starting to look more like you're mom." He lead me the way to my seat at the dinner table. Like a gentleman my father is, he pulled out a chair for me. He still has class after all these years.He sat down directly in front of me watching me with his piercing eyes.