23. Back to the Start

(ELLAH)

      I came back home with the saddest expression on my face. It's been like that for a couple of days. I couldn't stand being away from Deion. His scent, his lips, and those gorgeous tattoos made me swoon even harder the more I kept thinking about him. It was like a never ending speech at school assembly.  Finally getting home and I already felt uncomfortable. I felt like my place didn't even belong to me anymore. I was suddenly feeling nervous and nauseous. I still haven't told Emily about our little affair since I came back from Deion's house. I haven't heard from Drew ever since he left. Drew didn't even enlighten me about anything. Usually with opportunities like this, he calls me and tells me how successful he feels and how the joy of it makes him a happy being. I miss him and his annoying humour.

     Sometimes it was hard getting up in the morning when I'd think of Deion's beautiful face and that never ending grip he had while holding on to me when I slept in the same bed. I wanted to keep things very friendly between the two of us but I couldn't—-I just couldn't.

        "Ok so we'll need some Cranberry Juice and some Oreo's, and a lot of wine coolers, burgers, burger buns. Just buy every shit on this list," Emily said forcing a roll of crumbled paper into my hands. We were driving in her car on our way to the super market. "my dad said to buy a lot of ice and he needs some, uh, what you call it?" She looked at me snapping her fingers at me. Her hands traveled below the steering wheel as she rubbed the head of her dog and he barked loudly enough to block my ears from hearing a thing.

         "Casper cool it. Cool it Casper. Good boy. I love my little baby." She rubbed his neck while Casper looked up at her with joy in his pitch black eyes sticking out his tongue.

      "Never going anywhere with you and Casper again." I said gliding my eyes towards the window.

  "Oh hush you," she said in a soft tone. " I swear if I don't get to the market on time how in the living Christ in the heavens above will I do anything for this New Year's Eve Party?"

                "I have no idea" I responded.

"It was a rhetorical question Ells." She laughed at me and placed Casper in the back seat where he can waggle his tail and jump around freely. " My dad sure put a lot of things on this list. I swear this is like half the toilet paper roll."

      Emily began driving much faster while I tried to keep an eye on Casper from jumping too high in the backseat. We later stopped in front of a public market where everyone and their carts bumped with the others.

    Emily stepped out viciously slamming her car door behind her. 

"Are we leaving Casper in the car?"

     "Yea. He'll live, " she said looking at stop sign across the street "his little toys are in there so he's occupied the whole time we're shopping."

          I nodded my head and completely erased what Emily just said to me in my head. I can careless.

   "Well alright let's slay this credit card baby." she said growling between talking.

  Freaking weirdo!

__

After hours of shopping tirelessly at the super market with Emily, I felt like I was at the gym doing hours of leg raises. I was walking everywhere, carrying so many things, and trying to keep everything on the list in order. She carried about four pieces of crumbled paper with her. Who does that?

       I couldn't move much. My feet were aching and my back. I think its going to break anytime soon now. I was laying down on the kitchen counter wondering what am I doing with my life. Casper kept barking in the living room leaving shredded dog hair on the couch.

    "No, no and no." I said yelling at Casper. He stopped moving around on the couch and stared back at me with his starry eyes. He scared me. He looked like robotic hound piercing its robot eyes back into the windows of your soul. I looked  away from Casper while his head tiled to the side.

  "Whose my little baby?" said Emily commanding Casper to come to her. Casper jumped into Emily arms and licked her face as if she was the best delicious dog food he's ever had in a lifetime. "Aww there's my Caspee." she looked behind her, standing directly behind the counter where the house phone sat in its handset. She looked at the machine and read the numbers off the handset.

     "Aren't you going to check that?"

"No. And I'm too lazy. There's like fifty messages. As much as I want to go though it, now is not the time" I kicked off my black and white Puma sneakers near the door mat and didn't bother taking off my Nike fleece either. I just rested my head on the counter and listened to Emily make love to Casper.

    "What are you wearing to the party? It starts tomorrow you know. You didn't even go to the hairdresser yet. Ellah you are so unorganized."

     " It's a new year all the time. There are plenty of parties to go. I'm tired as hell."  I whined.

 "You know this one is important, especially since it's a family thing."

      "Oh yea."

"And you promised me you'll go."

   "I did?"

"You did. Call Rayn for a hair appointment like A.S.A.P. Your ends look like they're going to strangle you if you don't do something about it."

         "Redo your roots because they're turning black again." I said insulting her back.

"Bad ass manicure."

              "Bad ass eyebrows."

"Bad ass lip liner."

    "Wack ass joke." I said finally ending the lame jokes she was saying to me.

"I still love you though."

       "Our friendship just ended." I quipped raising my head off the kitchen counter .

"Ells." Emily laughed while coming towards me. Casper barked again.

    "Oh my god I'm literally going to kill that dog" Casper heard the aggressive tone coming out my mouth and growled his spiked teethes together.  '' I mean I love you casper. Would you like a Beggin' Strip?"