“Are you okay?” His voice held a soft gravel tone, which felt as if it was stroking along my skin, causing an unexpected shiver to claim along my spine. “I just wanted to say I'm sorry, for running out like that, I was being a total jackass.”

I jumped slightly at the sudden volume to his voice, and slowly lifted my head to meet his eyes. The nervous energy I had throughout my body kept me from simply looking at him, my eyes trailed from his torso, to his chest, and then along to his crossed arms in front of his chest. A splash of colour caused my gaze to hesitate then rest on his muscled arms.

“What’s your tattoo of?” I whispered, scared if I talked too loud he would disappear or this was nothing about another dream about to turn into a nightmare.

Chris snorted, and extended his right arm to put his inked skin on display. “It’s nothing just a random design of a wolf howling at the moon, cliché.”

The gray and black scale tattoo stood out against his tanned skin, and I found myself wanting to take a closer look. I stood up, steadying myself, before stepping closer to examine his stained skin. I gently stroked the harsh lines of black, and I felt his shiver. “Do you mind?” I asked, unsure.

“It’s ah –“, he paused to roughly clear his throat. “It’s fine.”

The design consisted of a delicately drawn wolf with black shading and lines, with a soft gray scale around its face and ears. It was created to have the wolf breaking free from a rock, to face a moon that appeared to be trapped inside of a feather. It was beautiful, to say the least.

“Do you like it?” He continued, his voice sounded stronger, and a small smile playing along his lips.

I felt my heart stutter at the gentle smile on his face, and I nodded quickly. I knew if I tried to talk my voice would come out breathy and full of lust. I wished I had a tattoo; I never bothered to get one since I always thought it would give people more to judge me about. Ever since my mother left I always wanted the dream catcher I kept hung above my bed, and then moved to above Dakota’s crib, to be tattooed to wrap around my left side as a symbol of protection for my heart. It kept me safe since I was young from the nightmares of being abandoned, and all alone.

“I have more, if you wanna see them.” Chris’ smile brightened when I nodded my head again, this time a bit more eager. Chris lifted his hands, curled them into fists, and proceeded to press the sides of his knuckles together, to spell the word ‘Hopeless’ along his fingers.

I cocked an eyebrow, but said nothing, as Chris gave me a rueful smile in return. Next he pulled his bottom lip forward and revealed the words ‘Bite Me’ written in cursive. I couldn’t help but laugh at his smart-ass tattoo, but I found it suited him perfectly.

“Don’t be afraid to give it a try, sweetheart.” He winked, with a cocky grin plastered across his fact.

I rolled my eyes in return, but felt a slight smile tug at my lips. I swear he never stops smiling, in some form or another; it’s going to make me smile all the time now. “Is that all?”