The Morning After

Start from the beginning

Ferit lays Bulut down to sleep on the couch, covering him with a blanket. He joins me in the kitchen, sitting down at the table to call his lawyer while I make some coffee for us. While Ferit is on the phone, Deniz wanders downstairs accompanied by a blonde woman I have never seen before. The two of them go to check on Bulut before joining us in the kitchen.

Deniz introduces the woman to me as Demet, her sister. I try to hide my shock as I finally place where I've heard the name. Demet, Amir's estranged sister. I glance at Ferit and notice him blatantly avoiding making eye contact with Demet, the tension between the two of them obvious.

When Ferit gets off the phone, he gives us a quick run down. "There will be a temporary custody hearing for Bulut, likely in about a week, if not sooner. There will be another hearing after that to determine permanent custody, giving anyone who wants to make an appeal some time to do so." He explains.

"Of course, all of Zeynep and Amir's assets have already been placed in a trust for Bulut so we don't need to worry about opening an estate. As Bulut's guardian, I will have custody over his inheritance as well." I catch a glimmer of annoyance in Demet's eyes at the mention of Ferit assuming custody of Bulut, but it's gone so quickly I assume I am imagining things.

"Do we know where their will is?" Demet asks, speaking for the first time.

Ferit glares at her coldly. "Yes, our lawyer has their will on file from when Bulut was born." He's clearly irritated with Demet's presence, but trying to remain diplomatic.

"Shouldn't we check their house? Make sure they haven't drafted a new one after all these years?" Demet probes, apparently very concerned about this topic.

Ferit takes a deep breath. "Why don't you check, Demet." He suggests, barely restraining his ire. Demet nods, apparently pleased to have won this battle.

I'm confused by Ferit's obvious hostility towards Demet. Amir rarely brought up his sister, but from what I had gathered, their family hadn't accepted Demet's marriage. I'm not sure what reason Ferit has to be so antagonistic.

Deniz tries to break the tension by suggesting that the two sisters step outside to call their parents. Ferit shoots Deniz a grateful look, before picking up the phone to dial his own mother. I place his coffee in front of him and walk into the living room to check on Bulut.

At the sound of my approach, he stirs. I sit down next to his head and begin stroking his hair as he opens his eyes slowly. My presence confirms that the morning was not a dream and he is once again distraught. No tears come to his eyes this time, however. He just raises his arms, indicating he wants to be held. I scrape him up into my arms and he leans against my shoulder.

"Your uncle is the next room and your aunts are outside so just tell me if you want them and I will bring you to them." I tell him, stroking his back. For the moment, he seems content with just me.

"Sejal Auntie, will I really never see Mama or Baba again?" Bulut asks, breaking my heart. I close my eyes. My heart goes out to this poor kid being asked to deal with this horrid new reality. I have some idea of what is ahead of him and I wish – how feverishly I wish – I could save him from the pain.

"Bulut," I begin hesitantly, trying to think of the words to say that will help him. "Did you know my parents died? Many years ago." I tell him. He's listening attentively. "It's true – we don't get to see the people we lose anymore. But I feel them with me all the time. Don't you feel them with you right now?"

He shakes his head, crying. "No, Sejal Auntie! They are not here. I want to see them." He wails again. I wait until he calms a little, sick to my stomach that I may have said the wrong thing.