Chapter 10

When Caitlin woke up, the next morning, she sadly discovered his side of the bed empty and there was a note on his pillow. Raphael had gotten up and left early so he would not get caught sneaking out. This hidden relationship reminded her of old times. They had never revealed their relationship when they were still in school. They had preferred to keep it to themselves and their inner circle to avoid the gossiping. And it was with a nostalgic yet happy smile that she pushed the covers away and went to the shower. It was Wednesday, the day of the undisclosed activity.

She was still wondering what it could be, when she arrived in the dining room. She was radiating with her flowy light-yellow dress and her wide happy smile. She blissfully joined Alexander and Raphael who had almost finished their breakfast.

The two men politely greeted her, both trying to keep their cool in front of Caitlin's unusual genuine happiness and casualness. The young woman replied with smile meanwhile pouring herself a large cup of coffee. She then quietly stared at it for quite some time. Her arrival in the room and being surrounded with the guests had briskly snapped her back to reality. And now, the conversation she had had with Raphael during the previous evening was playing in her head. It had brought bad as much as good memories. Thus, her feelings were slightly all over the place. And Mr. DeAngelo's sudden announcement did not help, quite the complete opposite, actually.

The man had finally revealed what he had planned for them today. And when she heard it, Caitlin wished she could have been miles away from there. The surprise activity was a horse ride in the country followed by a picnic. She searched for support from Raphael. She knew he would be able to read her fear and sadness with a simple a glimpse. There was no way she could participate. However, Raphael seemed impassive. And she was feeling lost.

Although, her heart felt lighter, when the vice-president of VdV announced that it would be possible to get to the location of the picnic with Jeeps, for those who could not ride. Caitlin released a sigh, realising she had momentarily stopped breathing while deciding to go for this option as it was offered to her. She hoped none of those who knew she could ride would make any comment regarding her decision. And if they were, maybe she could simply say she had stopped riding because of an injury or something. Anyhow, she was convinced she would come up with a perfectly plausible excuse.

Following his unveiling, Mr. DeAngelo allowed his guest to go back to their rooms, so they could change into more comfortable and sportswear outfits. Everyone applauded his choice of activity. And they all joyfully regained their room to get changed.

Even though, she was not going to ride, her dress was not appropriate for a picnic. So, once back in her room, Caitlin put on her blue jeans which she paired with a beige blouse. She slid her feet in the pair of boots Amber had lent her, before heading back downstairs. There was still some time left until they were supposed to leave, so she walked to the stables. She wanted to see Lightning Bolt.

Whereas she was on her way there, she was joined by Raphael. The young man had run to catch her, as he had noticed her on the path to the stables. After quickly looking around, he softly grabbed her hand and commanded her to follow him. Since she did not have any other choice because of his grip, Caitlin numbly obeyed.

They soon reached their destination. And there, on the front yard of the stables, there was a lad, holding Lightning Bolt. The horse had been saddled. Confused by the situation, Caitlin turned to Raphael for some explanations. Amber and him had thought he could be his ride.

"You know I can't," she mumbled her throat suddenly becoming dry, and slightly becoming overwhelmed.

"Don't you think it is about time you give yourself another chance. Again, what happened to your horse is terrible, but it was not your fault," Raphael asserted, tightening his grip on her hand as she was about to run away.