13 | sugar and spice

Start from the beginning

"I can't just jump him."

"Why not?"

"Well, I—" Chloe sputtered. "What if he doesn't want me?"

"You're in marketing, aren't you?" Rowan demanded. "Invite him over to the flat. Dress up a little. Put on some nice music. Make him want you." She took a sip of water. "You sell things all the time, right?"

"Things like perfumes," Chloe said, horrified. "And watches."

"So?"

"So I'm a person!"

"You're a product," Rowan corrected her. "And you're trying to close a deal." She wiped her forehead with a towel. "All you have to do is convince him to buy it."

Chloe whacked her with a towel. "You're disgusting, Row."

"I'm also right."

"So, what?" Chloe raised her eyebrows. "I invite Logan over to make gingerbread houses tonight and then pounce on him?"

"A little sugar and spice," Rowan said, waggling her eyebrows. "I like it."

Chloe flipped her off, and Rowan chuckled, turning back to face their instructor. She gritted her teeth. God damn it; Rowan was right. She needed to buck up and just do something already. She would text Logan. As soon as this spin class was over.

She pedaled harder.

Logan Winters had no idea what was coming for him.

Chloe scrambled around the flat like a madwoman.

Where the hell was her flat iron? She smoothed down her dark fringe, huffing out a breath. Good god. She looked like Edward Scissorhands, minus the sharp appendages. So just a young Johnny Depp, really. But not a cute one.

"Nice apron," Rowan said, and Chloe flipped her off.

Her flatmate was lying upside-down on their sofa, her red hair pooling on the carpet. An empty packet of salt and vinegar crisps lay next to her. Chloe watched as Rowan nudged the packet with her nose, moving it like a seal.

"Can you chuck that in the bin?" Rowan asked.

Chloe complied. "Have you seen my flat iron?"

"Bottom cabinet in the toilet."

Chloe raced to the drawer, grinning triumphantly as she wrested the hair tool from its hiding place. Sneaky bugger. Rowan gave her an amused look.

"How long until Logan's here?"

Chloe checked her watched, then groaned. "Ten minutes."

"Want me to set up the gingerbread houses?"

"Won't you be late for dinner?"

Rowan waved her off. "This is more important. Obviously."

Chloe shot her a grateful smile before swiveling back to the mirror, trying desperately to tame the errant dark curls. Rowan cracked open the gingerbread-making kit, laying out the white and red icing bags, coloured candies, and gingerbread wedges with methodical precision. Chloe arched an eyebrow.