Chapter 2 - At the crossroads

The next day at school, Christmas preparations were the main focus, there was the children's choir singing carols in the background, while the minister had fallen asleep on a chair next to the decorated tree.

Anne was sitting beside Moody, they were cutting snowflakes out of paper.

"Do you suppose it's true that no two snowflakes are alike? I hope so. It's kind of comforting, isn't?", said the young redhead while the young boy listened to her words with a smile.

On the other side of the class, Josie gossiped with the other girls, "And the bank manager, who happens to be my uncle, he said that the Cuthberts are poor.", she said with a small, petty smile.

Anne, who heard none of this, continued her monologue to Moody, "I've heard it said that snow is a sign of God's forgiveness, and by blanketing the ugly frozen earth, and making it beautiful."

"Anne is poor?", exclaimed Diana at the other end of the class.

"What do you mean "poor"?", asked Jane who was standing next to the young brunette.

"Poor as in "penniless old fellow with no head for finance."", Josie replied, rejoicing a little too much at what she was saying.

The young redhead was alerted by her words, she turned her head towards her.

"That's not very nice.", replied Ruby, who was standing next to the tall blonde.

Moody, who didn't pay attention to the chatter of the girls' group, continued to chat with Anne, "Snow means Christmas is coming. And I love Christmas. Don't you?"

"I don't know, but I plan to.", answered the young redhead.

"Did you not have Christmas at the orphanage?", he asked, a little embarrassed to ask this question.

"There wasn't much to it really. I'm not sure why Father Christmas wasn't able to stop there. Maybe the matron scared him off.", said Anne.

Suddenly, Anne was again alerted by the girls' discussion, she heard Diana exclaiming to Josie, "That can't be true."

"The Cuthberts had to mortgage their farm. Isn't that sad?", replied the tall blonde with a smile, who didn't seem at all compassionate.

It was too much for the redhead, when she heard this, she got up from her desk and walked towards the girls, "Josie Pye, you take that back!"

"Why are you upset? It's only true. You're poor.", Retorted the young blonde.

Anne didn't want to believe a word of it, it couldn't be true. Josie's falsely innocent expression didn't help the girl at all to calm down.

"Wait, you didn't know? Do you know if they're even going to keep you?", added the girl who was feigning concern.

"Keep me?", repeated the young redhead, who felt like an anguish rising, reminding her of not so distant memories. Marilla couldn't send her away yet, would she?

At the same time the choir director called the whole class to come and sing together. Anne, who was definitely no longer in the Christmas mood, followed the other students with difficulty to sing their Christmas carol.

No sooner had they started singing than Anne decided to run away from school and return to Green Gables. She had to know if it was true, it was impossible for her to continue singing Christmas carols under these conditions.

Diana rushed to join her, she knew very well why her friend had run away like that.

Later, they were on their way, the young redhead was walking very fast, she had to get answers as soon as possible.