Chapter 4: Training-Round 1 |The tiger|

Meg followed the rest of her pack down the steel steps and into the basement where Derek lived; she wondered if this was their usual routine, coming here straight after school. She liked the idea of being around her new friends even after school had ended, life didn’t sound so lonely.

“It’s training time” Erica grumbled begrudgingly when they reached the landing of the steps, Meg looked to her.

“Training time?” Meg echoed befuddled while fiddling with her necklace as they walked to the middle of the room.

“Yup,” Isaac stated with a nodded, she arched an eyebrow dubiously.

“Training for what exactly?” Meg questioned looking to them, Erica answered.

“Defending ourselves against anyone that wants to kill us”

“Kill us?! I thought we were instantly bumped to the top of the food chain.” The teenager exclaimed full of disbelief, Isaac chuckled at her words and Boyd smiled clearly amused.

“Sadly no, there are hunters out there that are specifically qualified to kill us.” Isaac stated while beginning to remove his jacket since it would get in the way of his training.

“Yeah with fancy weapons and shit,” Erica added looking down at Meg who stared wide eyed and intrigued.

“You are all here, good…Let’s get started.” Derek’s appearance grabbed everyone attention Meg was surprised to find him in a plain white vest and jeans, her keen gazed outlined the bulge of his well defined muscles before taking in the sight of his taut stomach, and she gulped feeling extremely feverish all of a sudden. Meg was startled by the sudden magnetic attraction she felt for him physically, he was certainly the best looking teacher she ever had but the stern features on his face made her feel worried for her life. Derek’s piercing gaze fell on her without warning, making her feel smaller than she already was.

“Meg, we are going to start with you” He stated Meg took a step back on response as all eyes fell on her.

“Ha ha, I am more of a sidelines kinda girl.” Meg insisted sheepishly Derek was not amused.

“Funny, because I don’t remember giving you an option” He retorted bluntly.

“Neither did the hobo werewolf that attacked me, yet here we are.” Isaac, Erica and Boyd immediately tensed at Meg’s answer knowing smart mouthing does not go well with Derek, they all stiffly looked to Derek for his reaction they saw the clear clenching of his jaw muscles.

“Get over here, now.” He ordered calmly holding his anger at bay; Meg crossed her arms over her chest shifting her weight from one leg to the other.

“Jeez are you always this-“

“NOW”

“Okay okay, sheesh.” Meg muttered and Erica shoved her from behind to give her the extra push, Meg stumbled forward and stood in the clearing in front of Derek.

“Now, I want you to get angry.” Derek stated circling around her until he was on her left but at a safe distance, Meg tilted her head to the side confused.

“Angry?”

“Yes, it triggers the transition to werewolf.” He stated as it was the most obvious fact in the world, nervousness instantly flooded her sense, this man was insane!

“Um do I have to?” Erica shook her head in disbelief already predicting Derek’s answer, the two boys feared for Meg’s life, seeing the irritation beginning to form on Derek’s face, but Meg was completely oblivious and continued to ramble.  “I am just not the type of person to get angry; I am calm and go with the flow kinda girl.”

“Go with the flow huh? Well my flow demands you to go and get angry” Derek snapped taking a authoritative step towards her, she took a step back trying to keep a safe space sensing Derek’s building up frustration. 

“I can’t! But you are doing enough for the both of us.” She protested clutching her necklace anxiously, he sighed pinching at the bridge of his nose to contain his urge to punch the girl.

“It’s not that hard, Isaac show her.” Derek ordered through gritted teeth, Isaac approached them instantly standing with his back facing Derek and looking to Meg, she stared anticipating his next move. Isaac’s eyes glowed bright copper and the flesh of his forehead scrunched and melted as if fusing with the bridge of his nose forming a terrifying animalistic expression that startled Meg, sharp deadly canines emerged from the depths of his gums she couldn’t help but watch both fascinated and terrified at the same time.

“You just tap into a memory that makes you most angry and everything else just shifts on its own.” Derek stated simply, gesturing to Isaac whose face morphed back to normal before he moved back to stand with Erica and Boyd.

“Now you try, attack me.” Meg pouted she was hesitant and it was obvious to everyone but she knew that if she didn’t it would only infuriate Derek more.

I guess I have to prove how useless I am.

“Um, alright” Meg closed her eyes for a moment to gather her wits, everyone watched eager to see her ability, Erica more than the rest mainly because she wanted her to fail. The moment Meg opened her eyes she ran at Derek, he was startled not expecting it but stood stock still as a loud battle cry left her lips as she brought her arms up curling her fingers in the shape of a clawed hand and leaped at Derek.

Isaac, Boyd and Erica struggled to stifle their laughter watching Meg wave her arms around desperately as Derek held her back by a large hand on her head, pushing her back at an arm’s length.  Derek dead-panned abruptly releasing her and stepping aside, Meg yelped from the sudden release of pressure and tumbled forward.

“What was that?” Derek demanded turning to her, Meg finally found her balance and turned to face him, grinning in triumph.

“You like it? I call it the tiger.” She retorted bringing out her claw shaped hand again and swiping at the air playfully, Derek felt his left eyebrow twitch in annoyance.

“More like the kitten.” Isaac muttered smirking, they were all entertained.

“Or the pus-“

“Try again.” Derek’s loud voice boomed silencing Boyd bawdy jest; Meg huffed, and shoulders slumping as she marched past Derek to her originating point to start again.