He opened his door once again and bounced down the steps into the living room. When he got there, he saw the TV already turned on and playing the news. Curious, he walked over to the couch and sat down.

"There are no leads so far looking into the missing person case, Midoriya Izuku," the reporter said. Izuku's eyebrows darted up and he leaned forward, now more interested than ever. "Though an investigation is still going on, it is likely the young boy is dead. His backpack was found at the top of a building with all of his school belongings and his phone inside.

"There was also blood found on the ground below, which belonged to Midoryia, but no body was recovered, hence the missing person case. Now, today we have a very special guest who would like to speak on the matter. Midoriya's mother, Midoryia Inko."

Izuku's heart dropped when the camera panned to his mom. She was a mess, to say the least. Her hair was full of tangles and her clothes looked like they had been slept in for days. Her eyes were red and puffy and she had tears running down her cheeks.

"Please," his mom choked out. "Please if you know where my baby is, please bring him home."

Izuku felt a pang in his chest and tears started to well up in his eyes. A lump formed in his throat as he leaned back. What was he doing here? He was hurting his own mother! He had to... he had to... he had to get out. But then, why did that feel like the wrong decision?

"I'm sorry, mom," Izuku breathed out. Tears fell and he brought his hand up to his mouth and struggled to keep back a choke.

Suddenly, the TV was switched off and he turned to see All For One holding the remote. All For One faced Izuku.

"If you're going to watch TV, my only rule is to not watch the news. It will deter you from your path of success," All For One said.

"My mom..." Izuku muttered, his head fuzzy. "She's in so much pain."

Izuku's eyes trailed down to his hands, which rested on the back of the couch.

"Do you think... I can be a hero too?"

"I'm sorry, Izuku, I wish things were different."

He may be hurting his mom, but even she had given up on him once upon a time. She had given up on him like everyone else. The only person who believed in him was All For One.

"But she'll get over it," Izuku whispered. "She'll get over it and she'll be fine..."

"See there, Midoriya, she'll be fine without you and you'll be fine without her," All For One said.

"Y'know, she didn't even believe I could be something great, because she thought I was quirkless. I didn't even believe I could be something great, thanks to her," Izuku said.

"Show her you'll be so much more than she ever thought you could be," All For One said. Izuku nodded absentmindedly.

Memories swirled through his mind, memories of all the times his mom had let him down when he needed her the most. All For One was right, she would be fine without him. And like always, he would be fine without her. He didn't need anyone but All For One to lead him to a path of greatness.

---

1

1 2

1 2 3 4

1 2 3 4 5

1 2 3 4 5 6

"Midoriya!" Shigabitch shouted as he slapped Izuku over the head with a magazine.

"Ow! What the-"