47. the end of something

:quadraginta septem:
~the end of something~

:quadraginta septem:~the end of something~

✰✰✰

"You know" Patrick began in his ignorant manner, "this triwizard tournament has been a complete farce I mean... two out of three tasks we haven't even been able to see what's going on"
He, Anna, Louis, Leo and Belle were sat in the stands surrounding a large maze which had been created on the previously loved quidditch pitch. The champions had delved into the maze about a half hour ago yet ,considering the walls were so high, no one could see at all what was going on.

Patrick lay his head against Louis' shoulder as the group watched out waiting for something to happen. The blonde knew that his time with the French boy was growing short however there was nothing he could do about it. He'd grown to really like Louis yet he also felt guilty due to his mind constantly wandering to the image of Percy.
Speaking of the ministry git, he was sitting in the stands opposite Patrick. It seemed Crouch was still ill, though Patrick had heard a rumour that he'd actually died sometime at Hogwarts. Considering the amount of untrue rumours that were spread around the school, he wasn't sure whether to believe it or not.

Patrick wasn't sure if his mind was playing tricks on him or not but it was as though he could feel Percy's eyes burning into him as he tried to keep his attention glued to the maze.
The blonde had been certain about his dismissal of Percy because he couldn't see a future where they could be together with no negative consequence.
However this didn't stop him from missing the red head, missing the interactions they'd had when Percy had actually opened up and not been a dick.

"Look there!" All heads turned to see red sparks erupting from somewhere in the maze. This meant that one of the champions was in distress which although wasn't great at least provided some sense of drama.
"Ten galleons says it's Fleur" Leo muttered and everyone agreed (including Louis despite Fleur being his champion).
It was indeed the blonde French girl who stumbled out of the maze looking both scared and annoyed at her misfortune.
"She hasn't been lucky in these trials" Anna sighed as they looked down from the stands.

The minutes seemed to drag into hours as the group tried to keep warm using Anna's handy trick of portable blue flames.
"I can't believe you two won't be here next year" Anna smiled sadly at Bella and Leo who nodded,
"I was meant to ask how the NEWT's went Patrick looked up, you finished the other day didn't you?"
"Yeah they went well" Bella nodded and Leo agreed, "a lot harder than OWL's though so good luck for next year"

"This years gone too fast" Patrick sighed, "in fact every years gone too fast"
"Well you are here a year longer than everyone else" Leo smirked as the blonde sarcastically flipped him off.
"At least you've got me" Anna beamed and Patrick nodded.

"Wait" Bella stood up and peered down through the dark to the clearing before the maze, "They're back"
All heads turned to see two figures lying on the grass in front of the maze. One was dressed in red and the other yellow,
"It's Harry and Cedric" Anna beamed, "Hogwarts has won!"
Music broke out over the crowds as people laughed and clapped including Patrick and his friends however as time went on and the figures didn't move everyone sensed that something was wrong.

"HE'S DEAD" a voice called out as another girl screamed. Anna clutched onto Patrick's arm as she stumbled back unable to look at the scene any longer.
Patrick was the opposite, it was as though his eyes were glued to what was in front of him. Dumbledore desperately tried to pull Harry off Cedric who was lying pale and lifeless staring up at the stars in the sky.

"THAT'S MY SON... THAT'S MY BOY" the strangled cry of Cedric's father rang out as Patrick felt his heart racing. This couldn't be real, Cedric Diggory can't have died. This couldn't be right.
The blonde found his shocked eyes moving to the opposite stands to see Percy staring horrified back at him. A tear ran down his cheek mirrored by Patrick who couldn't comprehend exactly what was going on.

"Today, we acknowledge... a really terrible loss
Cedric Diggory was, as you all know exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend,
Now I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died
You see Cedric Diggory was murdered... by Lord Voldemort
The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this
But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory
Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me and reminds us that while we may come from many different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one
In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever
Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain
You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end"

✰✰✰

The school felt completely different after the last task had taken place, it was as though a shadow had been left hanging on a once bright and happy place.
Everyone was grieving, shocked and confused. The idea that Lord Voldemort had returned was one that many didn't want to listen to, it was too painful to think about.
The future of the wizarding world didn't look good.

Those who hadn't retired home early walked the school halls in fear, waiting for something to happen. It was as though they expected Voldemort himself to burst through the doors.
Of course it was worse for those who knew him, Patrick had of course met him, admired him but he'd never really known him.
He grieved in sympathy for Cedric's friends and family. The grieving scream of Cedric's father still haunted his thoughts as he tried to go about life as usual.

It had been Harry Potter who had reportedly faced off against Voldemort and told everyone of his return however many didn't believe this just as they chose not to believe Dumbledore. Patrick never got into a debate about the truth of the matter however he knew that he believed Harry.
He and the boy who lived had only had brief encounters, the main one being when they discovered the chamber of secrets, however from those he could tell that Harry was honest and reliable. Why would he lie?

The end of the school year not only meant that Patrick had to say goodbye to Louis but also Leo and Bella as it was their last year. It would have been the blondes last year too and he half wished it was, he didn't really want to be around this fear for another year.
Next year would also bring about another new defence against the dark arts teacher as turns out Professor Moody wasn't actually Mad-eye Moody at all but had instead been a death eater in disguise.

Patrick told Louis that he'd keep in touch however he knew that any bond they had created would soon be lost, they were even more impractical than him and Percy which was saying something.
It was harder saying goodbye to Leo and Bella despite knowing that he would see them again. He hugged them both goodbye before they retreated down to take their final boat ride away from the castle.

Anna caught up with him as he walked down ,baggage in hand, towards Hogsmede.
"I'll see you next year ok" she smiled before hugging him tightly, "don't miss me too much"
Patrick smirked before returning her hug, "I'll try not to... have an amazing summer"
Patrick waved after her as she boarded the train with Lee Jordan who had placed his arm round her waist. Any feeling of envy that Patrick would have usually noticed was replaced by happiness.

Everything was going to be ok.

✰✰✰

A/n
That last sentence was purely for dramatic irony :)