I'd have Faith shoot me with a pistol if I ever turned out to be a parent like that.

Speaking of Faith though, she had been another conversation entirely. Completely out of reach, I knew she was busy but by now she was normally back.

I didn't want to admit it may just be her that was giving me that bad feeling.

Either that or I had gotten food poisoning.

I walked around the living room pacing back and forth, aimlessly. Even Liv who was the most manageable of all the girls had turned down my offer to hang out, she was busy with her latest conquest.

And I who was in the single committee that wasn't actually single had named my relationship status; Complicated.

I mean, even Sabrina who was there and had pointed out that Jacob was there thought we had worked things out.

If Jacob does ask Sabrina about me, in shorter terms, I would be screwed.

Just like that my thoughts were once again shifted back to Faith.

I could only hope - ah, the irony - she was okay. In the meantime I did what any worried friend would do when they had to wait home for their Stepmom.

Overdose on caffeine.

••

The moment Lacey stepped in, the mood of the living room had dampened, she was obviously upset, I didn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I suddenly felt like I was back in high school and had come home with an F in chemistry. The good ol' days.

When she saw me she smiled as warmly as she could, I could tell it was fake, I just was not going to push it.

"How are you?" She asked me and kissed my forehead. She dropped her handbag on the coffee table and peeled her suit jacket off of her. It was probably some bad news mixed with a bad day at the office. Hopefully - yes, we're going down this trail again - it wouldn't be anything about work, who knows what could have possibly gone wrong in the bank?

"I'm fine, how was work?" Well it has got to be something if she was this upset.

She just shrugged. "It was okay. Do you have a second? I need to talk to you," I nodded, I guess whatever it was that had been bothering her had finally come to light.

Minutes later we were both seated on the couch, Lacey occasionally playing the the envelope in her hand. She then passed it to me.

I took from her, confused but she just sighed. "It's an acceptance letter," my eyes widened and I looked at the white envelope in shock. I opened it.

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO

I couldn't believe my eyes, I remembered applying but I knew my chances of getting in were none, at least I thought. I couldn't believe I was accepted. I wanted to scream loudly but the look on Lacey's face discouraged me.

"Garrett's University is in Florida. I know you're probably confused but, I make drives twice a month to visit him. You are going to be in Toronto. You're going to be in Canada!" She exclaimed and I saw the sad look on her face, and I knew where she was coming from.

They couldn't throw money out of the window to take a trip to Canada twice a month, we were a middle class family. They had bills that needed to be paid and tution fees for Garrett and I would be too much on them. And then taking trips to Toronto every month. They couldn't afford to cut the budget short.

I tried to hide my disappointment that it was her telling me this, not Dad.

Although Garrett was on a football scholarship it didn't cover up everything. There were still bills to be paid.

University of Toronto was my dream school, looking at it now it didn't seem as amazing as it was.

I had not even gotten a scholarship, maybe that would have lessened the hectic bills that Mom, Dad and Lacey would have to eventually pay.

"I don't want to discourage you, Hope," she looked at me. "It's still your choice but I don't want you too far away, that's all. We won't be able to visit you a lot. But that doesn't mean this is not a good opportunity! We're talking about one of the best Universities in the world," she wasn't exaggerating, it was one of the best Universities. And most people's dream school. "Just think about it." She told me and patted my head.

She stood up to leave but said. "Also, your Mom is going to come visit soon. She said she's been less tired and really wants to see you," Lacey's smile was faker as she left the living room.

I had gone straight to my room to tell Faith. She wasn't online though because I had shot her several messages. My impatience had led me to call her after she didn't type back, and just like she had promised she did not answer.

It went straight to voicemail. I had recorded a few and sent them to her. I was probably overreacting but I was freaking out. Different scenarios played through my mind and I shut my eyes.

I was restless, the worst state to be in the day. The acceptance letter laid lazily on my bed as I tried to reach her, again.

Faith wouldn't have done something stupid, right?

You know what? Scratch that, of course she had done something stupid.

She was Faith duckling Jennings. She was bound to have done something incredibly stupid.

I would not put her pass that.

If I knew her address I would have taken Lacey's car and driven down to her house. But someone loved privacy and would not even want to know where my house was.

I did not have her brothers numbers nor any of her friends'. I knew barely thing about her and we had known each other for almost three weeks.

And where the heck is Garrett?!

Isn't looking for that rule breaker enough?

I called him twice. It went to voicemail. Texted him several times, he hadn't answered any of them.

And I was trying to keep Lacey in the dark. If I knew her as well as I thought I did she would freak out and suggest we called the police to file a missing persons report.

As much as I loved Lacey I couldn't have her do that.

I ran a hand through my hair. Curling it could wait, I did not care about it anymore. Right now I was scared of two things.

1. Having food poisoning.

2. Going to a University almost million of houses away from mine.

I would be a good friend and sister and overdose on more caffeine.