Emotions in the Starlight

IWAIZUMI'S POV

The car ride to the gym was slightly awkward following this morning's events in the kitchen. I glanced over at him once in a while, the morning sun sitting elegantly on his skin. Every so often he reached down to touch his knee, I hope It wasn't bothering him too much. He had always worried it would stop him from going pro, but I promised he'd get there one day. And he definitely did. 

He filed the car into his designated parking space and entered the gym. Sneakers squeaked and the smell of sweat and over the counter rub-on pain medication was very present. Oikawa walked over to the bench, setting down his bag before putting on his knee pads and removing his jacket. The massive room was somewhat chilly, mostly because I wasn't exercising. The flooring was a medium brown wood grain, white lines mapping out where the court stopped. There was a shiny lacquer on top of it, the same kind that was in any gymnasium with wooden flooring. The walls were a light gray, spots of white plaster dotted around, covering up holes shoulders and knees had busted into existence. The lights were bright. If I had just woken up they might almost be blinding. The room had a strong aura adhered to it, one full of hopes and dreams and mindsets ready to take on the world.

I pulled Bokuto aside to go over a workout regimen he needed to start soon to stay in proper shape, similar to the one we both apparently followed in high school. I wrote him out a timed list, working around his schedule and trying my best to write neatly, before sending up off and calling the next team member for their evaluation. Everyone got slightly different regimens based on their schedules, diets, and position that they played, but somehow it still felt like a rinse and repeat situation. Call over the player, ask about their schedule and position, work out a regimen that should work for them, rinse, repeat. I was just about to call over Atsumu Miya when.

SMACK

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!" Oikawa yelled out, sprawled across the hard floor. He looked up at the ceiling, a look of pure anger and disgust painted across his face.

Without a second thought, I raced over to the brunet, kneeling beside him with the coach close behind me, "You alright?"

"Yeah, Iwa-Chan," He hissed, "Couldn't be better!"

"What happened?" I questioned, already assuming the worst.

"I jumped to set to Hinata," He explained, flopping an arm over his eyes so he wouldn't have to see the rest of the team surrounding him, "When I landed...my knee buckled again. It's been months since it hurt this bad..."

The entire aura of the room sifted. It wasn't a good shift. The air got stiffer, everything got quieter. The lights weren't as bright. I could feel his worry and sorrow. He was scared. He was scared he wouldn't be able to play anymore. I knew it. The team knew it. I couldn't let him slip away from the thing that kept him going when I wasn't around.

"Come here Oikawa." I insisted. He sat up, throwing his arm around my shoulders as he had done the last time I saw him hurt like this. I heaved him upwards, his entire body weight resting on my strong frame. I said nothing. I didn't want to embarrass him. I helped him over to the bench, sitting him down gently before handing him a water bottle and a towel. He took a small drink then place the towel over his head as he hunched over so he wouldn't have to see anyone. I finished up talking to the last few players then sat down next to my sulking friend.