chapter II

The thing with the past is that, when it happens, it will never let you forget it. They used to be a thing – a thing Idina wasn't sure how to exactly call it much less explain.

A couple? Two former lovers? Two women that made each other miserable with the passing of time?

She still had trouble trying to pick up the most appropriated one. But even when Idina wasn't sure about how to title it she was completely sure that her feelings, once burning in a red passionate love, were now a pile of dark ashes scattered inside the nearest trash bin – and she made sure in the last ten years to clean any trace of dirt from her fingers.

She managed to finally do it, with a lot of scrub and even more a lot of therapy. And when she started to date again – or more specifically, when she started to fall in love again –, she made sure to do it after every trace and part of her body was completely clean of dark dirty black spots.

Because despite the therapy she was still mad at her for their breakup, a silent one after Idina was left alone in her NY apartment to figure out how to break a broken heart. She tried to not think about it, to distract her mind of the thoughts about the past.

But in the second Kristin stepped inside her room, and Idina acknowledge her presence for the first time in more than five years, she swore she could taste bitter dark charcoal in her lips, and if she fantasies enough then she could see drops of black saliva sliding down the borders of the glass she just used to drink water from.

Kristin took the empty seat next to her and having a full close up of her almost made Idina feel like she was dreaming instead. She was surreal, her entire attire and makeup was proof of that, and the older woman didn't bother to hide the heartbreak expression in her face when Idina impolitely rejected her attempt to take her hand and hold it.

Couldn't she understand that they weren't a thing anymore? That she left Idina with a heart full of broken promises and crippling self hate that still tortured her in her most recent nights?

It took Idina years to stop loving the blonde, and she was sure it would take her even more to love her back.

Kristin tried to start a casual conversation with her and even with her current mood Idina found herself actually answering to her questions because, what else could do?

Being a decent mature woman was the least she could do now. And even if she was completely done with her touches, she still had the professionalism to not let the ghosts affect her performance. It was the fifteenth anniversary of Wicked after all, and she promised herself she'd make this work for the dignity of her career.

Her phone was still buzzing inside her pocket, and even with the noise around them Kristin managed to hear the distinct vibrations of the apparatus under the jacket the brunette was wearing.

"Aren't you going to pick up?", she commented playfully, followed by a laugh Idina had missed even when she didn't want to admit out loud. .

"They know I'm busy so I'm sure they'll not get mad if I return the call later", she flipped through the pages of the script in her hands, trying to keep her mind busy from any unwanted thought.

Kristin gave a muffled sound as response, blue eyes detailing every aspect of Idina's body and probably noting the brunette was channeling her inner thoughts to avoid having a breakdown over the fact she was being observed, like a predator circling their prey. "Talking about later, would you like to go to get lunch after this? You've no idea how much I've missed you, my dear. Especially in the nights".

Idina definitely choked on her own spit this time, there was an implication in her last phrase, something Idina was scared to decipher its meaning.

She felt her phone buzz again, and suddenly it was a good moment to answer each one of her missed calls.

———

AN: Second chapter is posted? This time we got a little bit of chenzel interaction and a view of Idina's feelings. Next time we'll see some bellzel one and so on...

Well, leave a comment if you want. It makes me so happy read all your thoughts. We'll also get Kristin and Kristen scenes bc they've work together and I thought it would be interesting to write. Have a good day!