Chapter Sixteen

~Evangeline~

No one spoke on the way home. We were way too shaken up to even consider laughing about our day at the beach. I rubbed my temple for about the millionth time. Liz's scream had gotten a lot louder, and because of the symptoms I was experiencing, I'd say my ears weren't too happy about it. I exhaled and looked over to Lizabeth. She was sound asleep, obviously drained from her screams. I looked out the window for the rest of the way home, trying to figure out what we were going to do about these Shadows.  

Gaelan decided to take advantage of Liz's sleeping state, and lifther with his telekinesis. So, imitating what he did at the cliff (right down to the retarded facial expression) he lifted her from the seat. Her body seemed to glow as he carefully led her out of the van. His hands were straight out in front of him, and he was standing in an wrestling ready stance- it looked hilarious. I would've told him to see if he could do it without the stance, but he was holding Liz up. Better not risk it- yet! We tried to form a protective wall around Gaelan and Liz, not just so that she wouldn't drop, but so that nosy neighbors (heaven knows there are lots) wouldn't see what was happening. So far, Liz hadn't woken up. But I should've know as soon as I sighed of relief, her eyes popped open.

"Oh my-" She looked around.

"GAELAN CONCENTRATE." I shouted. Gaelan didn't take his eyes off her, for fear he'd drop her.

"GAELAN! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HO?!" Liz shouted, suspended in midair.

"Hushh...." Gaelan kept slowly moving her towards my room. We were almost there...

"NO, YOU PUT ME DOWN RIGHT NOW! I AM NOT YOUR TEST ITEM THINGY!!!!"

"Gaelan..." Deirdre urged.  You could see Gaelan's eyes squeezed shut as he tried to remain in control, even with Liz shouting at him. Liz seemed to have relaxed.

"Liz." I started. She looked at me, fear in her eyes.

"Do you trust Gaelan?"  She nodded slowly, eyes flickering between him and I. She was almost off the staircase; if he let go now, she'd drop a few meters. Ouch.

"Then shut up." I said. She looked surprised, but didn't say anything more. Tally started laughing.  I glared at her, but that only made her laugh harder. Gaelan's concentration started to quiver. Deirdre reached to grab her.

I screamed as she fell.

The lights went out, and I braced myself to hear the sickly thud. But it never came. A faint light flickered on, and, suspended below, was Liz. It appeared as if air was holding her up. Glowing air. I looked at Holly. Her arms were outstretched, and speckles of light were flooding into, and out of her fingers. They fell down to Liz and disappeared under her body. Josh acted quickly, and ran downstairs. He grabbed her from the air, and put her on the couch. Holly sighed, and the lights came back on.

"Oh my-"  Deirdre sank down to the stairs.

"Holly?!" Nick looked at her in disbelief.

"That was amazing!!" Jacob exclaimed.

I ran downstairs and over to the couch. I checked Liz for a pulse. It was steady, but she was obviously in shock. I whipped around and stared at Tally. My hands heated up, and I clenched them tightly. I thought of all the terrible things I could do or say. I imagined stabbing her with a million tiny knives. My hands heated up a bit more.

"What the hell! You could've killed her dumb ass!" I screamed at Tally. She looked scared.

"I didn't-" she tried.

"I don't fucking care! Your stupid immaturity almost killed one of our friends! One of MY best friends!" She looked mad.

"Okay! I'm sorry-"

"Sorry wouldn't have brought her back! Tally, when are you going to GROW UP?!"

"I AM grown up!" She put her hand on her hip. I needed to do some damage. My hands kept heating up. I was loving the thought of those knives now. I chose my course, and stared at Nick, who was dumbfounded.

"Nick, would you ever date a girl who's immature and laughs while her 'best friend' is supsended in midair?" I demanded.

"N-no?!" He stuttered. I glared at Tally.

"Well, there you go. Grow up!" I yelled. Her eyes started to glow. Oh my Goddess, was she going to hurt me?

"You fucking bitch." She growled. Oh no, she didn't?!  I threw my hands at her in anger. Those knives I imagined? Yea, they went flying at her. All one million of them. 

Not one actually hit her, but stood motionless millimeters in front of her.

"That is quite enough Evangeline." My mothers eyes were closed, and she sat cross legged on the floor.

"How the hell-?" I asked.

"Chi." My mom replied. Tally ran out of the house. Good. Finally free of her Royal- Pain- In- The- Ass. I sighed.

"Uhm Evangeline?" Gaelan said uneasily. If he was gonna say 'Tally just left' I swear I'll slap him.

"You might wanna turn around..." Nick said uneasily. Was he gonna tell me that Liz wouldn't have wanted me to say that? BULL SHIT.

"TURN THE FUCK AROUND." Josh exclaimed. I spun around, and Liz was sitting up staring at me. Her eyes were black.

"You can't win a battle that can't be fought."

"What the FUCK?!" I screamed.

"Give up while you can!" Liz smiled a creepy smile, and blood ran down her teeth. Then she collapsed.

~Half an Hour later~

Liz was still crying. She was so upset. Looking at the guys, they weren't even uncomfortable around crying girls anymore. I guess after a while, you get used to it. Liz swore she wasn't doing it, and had no idea what it meant. We'd all look at each other, and another round of sobs came out. Deirdre brought her some tea, and finally explained.

"Children, that was a warning." She said calmly, handing Liz a cup of lemon and trinity tea. Something was odd about her choice... What was it?

"From who?" Gaelan asked.

"The Shadows God or Goddess." Deirdre said plainly, helping Liz bring the cup to her lips.

"What does it mean?" I asked. Now how many shows have I watched, where the stupid one always asks this? And then BAM, something terrible happens.

"That they want us to give up, obviously." Nick points out. I glared at him. Smart ass.

"Yes and No, Nick. They believe your enhancements are no where near comparable to the originals power. In a way, I suppose they could be correct."

I figeted with my hair, a thing I do when I'm nervous.

"However, through the generations, your capabilities have mixed and the DNA has been significantly altered." I hate smart, mystical talk, so I demanded English.

"Okay, so, say this in a language that Josh would understand." I said.

"Hey-!" Josh said, pretending to be offended. Gaelan and Nick just laughed. Holly laughed too; only her laugh sounds like tiny bells just like Liz's. Lucky dicks.

"It means that while we don't know your limits or weaknesses, your abilities are stronger than any ancestor's in history."  We said nothing. Gaelan broke the silence.

"Damn."  I totally agreed with him.