Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

~Evangeline~

They were everywhere. Their distorted figures meant to scare us, reminding us that they weren't human. Perhaps they used to be, but their claws and faces had been brought on by the dark magic. This is the price one mus pay for power, a voice hissed at me. A small figure crawled towards me, as the others surrounded me. Just as I was to scream for help, I shotstraight up in bed, breathing heavily. I figured out what Mom had chosen that type of tea for. It was to help assure Liz's body wasn't taken over by the Shadows. I got out of bed and walked across the room to where she was sleeping. She looked at peace curled up, but for some reason I was disgusted by how vulnerable we were. Those demons could easily kill us off one by one while we slept and-

And what? What could we possibly do to stop them? We were relying on plants and blessed totem poles to keep us safe. There had to be another way to sleep and be able to fight them... without relying on throwingflowers at them. Liz turned over, and I jumped back. I fell and landed on something small and hard. When I picked up her Piglet stuffed animal (she always did love Winnie The Pooh...) I laughed to myself. But there was something hard INSIDE it. Taking a look at Liz, I decided I should make sure it wasn't dangerous, or something. (Really, I was just trying to tell my conscience that it was okay to open her obviously secret Piglet compartment.) What I found took my breath away because- well, not gonna lie, it was only a necklace. I turned it over in my hand,and despite the odd symbol, I found nothing specifically special about it.

"It was from my Mother. She gave it to me on one of my visits." My head snapped up, and I could see Liz's outline in the darkness.

"S-sorry I was just-"

"It's alright." She got up and sat down beside me. 

"Mom said it would protect me while she couldn't. She's really proud of us, you know."

"Yeah, I do know." I said. Liz's mom was really a nice person, who genuinely cared about what was happening in your life.

"I have to be honest, I'm scared. If the Shadows can overtake my body at will, then can they make me hurt you guys too?" She sounded embarrassed.

"Mom said you were at your weakest time, physically. It takes a lot of power or magic to overtake a human's body. I honestly don't think they took over your soul though." We laughed. Liz was way too stubborn to be taken over; most of us were!

"If you look on the back of the pendant, it's been engraved with all the names of it's owners. Mine is on there now too." I flipped it over, and turned on Liz's nightside lamp so I could see all the tiny printing.There were so many names and dates! They went back forever... One name stood out though. Elizabethia DeVante, dated back to over five hundred thousand years ago!

"Elizabethia DeVante." I said. Liz nodded.

"Mom said I was name after her, and Crystine named after her older sister."

"That's kinda cool." I said, tracing my fingers over the itty bitty letters.

"But if you research them, it isn't so cool." I looked at Liz. Her face was solemn.

"Why? What's wrong with them?" I asked.

"Crystine...got hurt because of Elizabethia." Liz was hiding something, but I wouldn't dig. She'd tell me eventually.

"That's not good. But you're not that Elizabethia and Crystine isn't that Crystine. So you don't have to worry."

"We have the same birthdays." She said.

"Nope, still not the same."

"Personality traits?"

"Nope."