James looked at her confused, and for a moment, she thought he had no idea what she was talking about. When he didn’t say anything, she repeated it, slowly, as tears threatened to break the surface. “Did. Last. Night. Mean. Anything. To. You.”

            “What? Of course not!” He exclaimed, breaking her heart with every word. “I…” He started to continue, but she couldn’t stand to hear any more. As the first tear fell from her eyes, she turned and threw open her door, and slammed it in his face.

            He stood I the same place, dumbstruck for a moment, then knocked again, saying “Lily, Please!”

            The door flew open again, and James saw Lily’s puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks. “James, just go away!” She wanted to yell at him, but she wasn’t able to get her voice above a whisper.

            “Lily, what happened?” James said, his eyes pleading to understand, all of the anger disappearing from his voice.

            “You know what happened!” She said, her voice cracking from tears. “I don’t want to see you Potter! I don’t want to talk to you; I never want to see you again!”

            “But Lily!” He said, but as he finished she pulled her wand off a table in her room and pointed it at him.

            ”Potter,” She said flatly, letting none of the emotions that were thrashing inside of her into her voice, “If you know what’s good for you, you will leave. Now. You will leave me be, along with Mary and Alice.” As hard as she tried to stop it, her voice broke in the end of the last sentence, ruining her menacing demeanor, but James got the drift.

            He held up his hands in surrender, and without another word, turned and walked away. Lily slammed her door again, and he heard sobs coming from just inside the door. A tear fell across his cheek, accompanied by a few more moments later.

            Lily collapsed on her bed, sobs rocking her body. She had no way of knowing how long she stayed there, but eventually, she fell into a fitful sleep. Nightmares crushed her as she slept, specifically one nightmare over and over again. She was back in the Astronomy tower two years ago, but this time, James wasn’t there to catch her. He was there to push her.

***

            When Lily awoke, it was nearly dark already, and she was starving. She looked around and found a small package of pastries in her desk. She opened it and inhaled two of them, then noticed a note attached to the top of the package.

            Lily,

                        I’ll be in the boys dorm if you feel like talking about what happened. I’ll be… staying there for a while.

            James.

            Her anger flared and she picked up the bundle and chucked it as hard as she could out a window. She stormed around her room for a minute, then made her way to Mary and Alice’s room. They weren’t there when she arrived, but the other girls didn’t mind her hanging out there.

            She made small talk with the other girls until Mary and Alice arrived. One look from Mary and all of the other girls decided then was a good time to go to the common room.

            When they were finally alone, Mary sat down on the bed beside Lily, and said quietly. “Do you know?”

            “Yeah,” Lily said, flatly, “How do you know?”