Chapter five

Song "As You Are" The Weeknd

I jog faster as I look down at my watch and I see that I'm late to work. A familiar off-white color building comes into view and I slow down a bit to catch my breath.

I bend over and rest my palms on my knees.

"Son of a-" I wheeze "you're really out of shape" I mumble to myself.

I straightened myself and walk the few extra feet to the front door and open it. A familiar bell dings as I open the door. Curtis looks up and shoots me a glare.

I give him an apologetic smile and stroll over to him.

"You're late" he tells me without looking up at me as he continues to wipe the counter.

"I'm sorry! I slept like a baby last night, the alarm didn't even wake me!" I sag my shoulders and play with the hem of my shirt.

"Don't let it happen again" Curtis says finally looking up at me giving me a close mouth smile.

I give him one back and I walk off.

I quickly turn on my heel and walk back to him.

"About that Curtis, I need to tell you something" my eyebrows rise and I give him an apologetic smile.

He sighs "what is it now"

"Well I will like to start of with, I love this place and you are my favorite and will always be my favorite boss" I defend myself.

"Mmmhm" at this point he stops cleaning the counters to look right at me.

I pause "I got hired at a place closer to where I live... I'm sorry Curtis! It's just that I live sooo far away and it's super hard to get here early-" I rumble on but he cuts me off.

"That's awesome Amethyst! Don't be sorry, you are a bright and smart young lady. Don't be sorry when one door closes and another one opens. Just don't forget about me and my joint!" He cheerfully exclaims.

A wave of calmness passes over me and I feel much better.

"When is your last day anyway?" He asks me.

I take another long pause "today" I half whisper.

"What! Today? Amethyst! Why didn't you tell me sooner so I could've put up a wanted ad? You know how short staffed we are"

"I'm sorry! I just got told I got the job like yesterday or Saturday, one of those days! I didn't know!" I defend myself again.

He sighs "that's alright, I'll just ask Lisa if she can take a few extra shifts while I hire someone new"

I smirk in my head "it's what she deserves" I tell myself.

"Now go on and take some orders" he instructs me.

I salute him and he rolls his eyes.

I walk over to my first table. Familiar faces greet my eyes.

"Linda and Jim!" I exclaim happily

"Amethyst my dear! So happy to see you again!" Linda smiles at me.

"So happy to see you guys too! How have you guys been?"

"We've been around. Came to get some good service from our favorite waitress!" Jim answered.

I smile warmly at both of them "what can I get you guys today?" I pull out my pen and note pad.

"Oh just get us the same as last time" she closed her menu and Jim mirrored her action.

"Same drinks as well?" I asked