Chapter One

*A/N*

If you want to read ahead check it out on inkitt:

https://www.inkitt.com/stories/fantasy/617618

I will be updating on here and chapters will be quicker since I will be posting them as soon as I finish them. I will be uploading The Elder War on here as well but only once to twice a week.

May 16

Up until a week ago, my mate was still alive.

Up until 24 hours ago, I had never killed anyone.

Funny how things tend to work out.
I never thought that I would be part of a war. Then again I never thought that I, an Oracle, would end up with a mate. It was impossible before. Oracles were not supposed to have mates, we were declared 'the moon goddess' messengers' which meant that we were to only ever focus on her and the things she wanted us to reveal.

Oracles were few and far in-between. Over the years we had started to see fewer oracles, it was not until recently that I learned some packs were overworking them or simply killing them off. Everyday I consider myself lucky that I'm part of a good pack. I never thought that Oracles would be the center of so much violence.

Cole, the Alpha of my pack, my best friend's brother, but also, the love of my life, my mate. Cole was everything to me, we basically grew up together. As we got older and his wolf emerged we learned that we were mates. Since I have always been unable to shift I didn't believe it at first. When I shifted on my nineteenth birthday I knew, and I was terrified. All of the journals and books I read about Oracles stated we were unable to have a mate. I didn't have a mentor, I didn't have someone that was like me that I could turn to. Everything I've learned so far was done on my own.

When that witch sent that electricity though his heart everything stopped. I physically felt my heart breaking inside of my chest, I felt my soul leave my body before slamming back in a wave of grief. At that moment I truly knew that I was his mate, but I also knew that I lost him forever.

I saw red, my wolf hurt and broken, used the magic that was coursing through my veins, that was burning through me, to end the witch. She wanted nothing more than to go on a rampage, thankfully Serenity stopped me before I could do anything else...

"Savannah?" A deep voice called from behind me. Turning, I find Fletcher walking towards me still in his black slacks and white button up. I gave him a sad smile and wiped the tears that stained my face.

"What's up? Is everything taken care of?" Fletcher gave me a quick nod.

"Yeah, he's buried. You should have been there, you're his mate. He died protecting yo-" I held up my hand and stopped him. Those were not the words I wanted to hear at the moment, I had started to grow tired of the sympathetic words and looks since the beginning of his funeral. Considering I wasn't crying hysterically, I was putting on a better front than I thought. Inside I was dying and my world was crumbling.

"Not now, Fletch. I know...you're trying to comfort me... but you know how wolves are. I don't know if the grieving process is the same for Oracles." I clasped his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. Leaving Fletcher I began walking through the pack house, each person I passed gave me a sad look. I shrugged them off and continued outside, where many were still cleaning up from the attack. Trees were burnt so badly they were practically dead, the ground was filled with craters from elemental attacks, nearby houses had chunks destroyed. Everything was in ruins. At the moment, I wanted nothing more than to crawl under my blanket and disappear from the world. The pain was constant and flowed through my veins like poison.