"Did you tell her about me?", the third voice intrudes again. He seems to be overjoyed, unlike your soul mate who picks him up with a quick "Thor, enough".

When you hear that name, you jump on the chair. You had spoken to him many, many, many times about superheroes, even if you didn't go into detail, and yet he had just called his brother... Thor?
A twist of fate. It certainly was. There could be no other explanation. Maybe they were just playing with each other? Were those just nicknames they were using?

"...Thor? So, you're into Marvel too?", you meddle in their bickering, quietly, for fear of being too much in those circumstances.

The answer leaves you a little speechless. "Marvel? What's that?".

You let yourself go for a nervous laugh. Confused. "What do you mean 'what's Marvel'?" you ask again, amazed. Maybe you misunderstood? Did you hear wrong?

"Must be a Midgardian thing. We don't have that on Asgard", he sighs, trying to understand what you were actually talking about.

"Asgard, Midgard... What are you talking about?". There are two alternatives: Either you're talking to an obsessed person who doesn't want to admit his own nature, or there's something wrong with this whole situation. Something serious. One thing is certain: You're not in the mood for jokes.

"Everybody knows my brother on Midgard", he begins, a slightly disappointed and bitter tone while talking about the so-called Thor. Your thoughts are all over the place. "The fact that you don't know who I am surprises me, since what happened...".

Silence. Total. You can't find the words. You don't know what's going on. You ask him more than once whether he was joking or not. He answers naively, and he doesn't seem to be lying. He confirms to you that he is not telling any lies. Your heart loses a few beats... Should you trust him or not? You start reconnecting all the pieces, all the clues that he had managed to give you in the days before, even if unconsciously. In fact, it all made sense. It really was him.

You really don't seem to understand why you are so distraught and affected by it. Even when you ask him again, "what?", he sighs. "You really don't know what I'm talking about?".

Of course you do, you know the story of Loki's arrival on Earth. But he didn't really exist... Didn't he? You've seen him in movies, comics, videos. You have a room full of them. But he doesn't really exist. It never happened. You tell yourself that, looking in the mirror, in a low voice, even though he seems to realize it. He makes a confused noise.

"I'm sorry. I have some important things to do", you tell him, making him aware that from that moment on, you wouldn't talk for a while. And he doesn't seem to want to give you an answer.
You quickly grab your mobile phone in your hands, to write Lola a message.

'Please cancel all plans for tonight. I have to tell you something, it's a soulmate-emergency. I really need to do some research and you are the only person who could help me. Apologize to the guys for me too.

Do it as fast as you can, I love you.'

That was all that remained to be done. Researches. You had to understand if something like this could really happen, if it was possible to be connected to a... God, and for the most part, not existing?
The tension gets the better of you. He is real, he is not real. Maybe he was just messing with you. Yet he seemed so sincere.

You felt the urgent need to look for something, to receive real answers. This is not something to be taken lightly. It is about the person with whom you are bound for life.

Meanwhile, on another planet...

"I guess I did something wrong," announces Loki, holding his golden scepter in his hands. His knuckles are getting whiter and whiter. "I must correct myself. I suppose you've ruined everything."

Thor clutches at his own shoulders. He didn't think he was making a mistake, meddling in their conversation. He really thought he'd already told her everything, he'd never want to ruin their balance. Especially since Loki seemed for once purely happy, sincerely relieved and with a few less thoughts. He was no longer so perpetually inclined to look down on everyone, and above all, he was receiving attention and affection that he most likely had always missed.

"I've already told you I'm sorry", so he says, honestly. If he had known, he would have clearly avoided it.

"I just don't understand what she was talking about. She said none of it was real. Are we sure she's from Midgard?!", he keeps yelling out loud, walking back and forth through the gardens, turning his scepter in his hands. A whirlwind of thoughts keep him on the edge.

"I think so, it's the only place where humans love and worship us, and then...",

"And she hasn't spoken to me since that day! Do you understand that? We don't talk anymore, as if I offended her. What am I supposed to do? She has to tell me where I went wrong", Loki interrupts him, making it clear to him that he wasn't paying any attention to the words of his brother who was simply trying to help him.

And it went on like that for hours. With Loki just going back and forth, shouting that he needed to understand something about all that situation and that it didn't seem right that his soulmate refused to talk to him.
Thor listened with his head down. Occasionally he would try to tone down the tension by making a few jokes, earning a very ugly, murderous look from his brother, which is why he would raise his hands in surrender and mutter immediately afterwards.

Loki seemed to calm down only when, after sitting next to his brother and opening the palm of his hand, a snake appeared from his sleeve, wrapped in a bright green trail.
It twists itself slowly around his wrist, moving its tongue up and down in the direction of the two men looking at it.

Thor sighs. "I know I have already said this, but I am sorry", he repeats for the umpteenth time, even though he was afraid to make him nervous again.

Loki, with his free hand, caresses the head of the snake, with caution. He raises his shoulders and then shrugs them, keeping his gaze fixed on the snake, which moves slowly around his arm. "I should have expected something like this. Besides, we've been talking for days now, and I hadn't even told her my name... I'm in the wrong, am I?".

Thor would really like to be able to help his brother. He thinks he has never seen him so nervous and worried in his entire life, which says a lot. Usually Loki would let it all slip through his fingers, taking even the most worrying of situations lightly, because he had powers that no one else possessed and was much more skilled than many other Gods.

But that was a different matter. It was not a question of wars, of kingdoms. It was not just any dispute. And he can understand all his tension.

"Let's put it this way...", then he resumes, resting one hand against his shoulder. As annoyed as Loki seems, he prefers not to say anything, continuing to play with the snake crawling between his hands. "Maybe she just needs a little time to process it? Even Jane couldn't believe it. It took a while."

Her brother sighs, distraught. He really doesn't know what to think.

"It's not something that happens every day. Not to mention what you did in New York."

"There's no need to remember it", he interrupts, annoyed.

Thor nods. "Give her a few days, you'll see that she'll clear her head and everything will go back to the way it was before."

Besides, there was nothing left for him to do. He certainly didn't want to put gasoline on the fire and bother her again. And as much as it hurt him to admit it, Thor was right. It's not usual. So he chose to wait, in the mere hope that everything would come back in perfect order. Also because, deep in his heart, he feels that he urgently needs it.

It's worth it. He can't change the choices of destiny, and above all, he doesn't want to. He should have been more cautious, and for this he curses his own choices, but on the other hand, how could he know?

——————————

OH MY GOD. Almost 2K reads? Y'all are crazy. I love reading your comments, it makes me so happy.

Also, I'm sorry if I didn't upload yesterday but I wasn't feeling really well. I wrote this last night while I couldn't sleep but I was starting to feel a little better, have mercy on me.

I love every single one of you,
Giada. xx

Soulmates - Loki LaufeysonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara