[XXIX] Burning Bridges

Start from the beginning

"You're telling me...."

Mashiho cuts him off. "A burning bridge makes the brightest light. The most dangerous fire yet the most spacious path once it all turned to ashes." the older paused for a while and squeeze Jeongwoo's hands. "The most dangerous way makes the biggest opportunities."

The archangel of hope is at a complete loss of words. Mashiho's words appear too confusing for his mind but very clear to the beats of his heart. Deep inside, he can feel that he understands what he meant.

"You don't owe anyone. No one should hold you back for you only have two things to choose from; a path to take and a bridge to burn. Make wise decisions, Jeongwoo. Your next life is still yours to live and not someone else's." Jeongwoo didn't even realize he's already crying when Mashiho lifted his hands to wipe the tears on his cheeks.

The older then stretch his limbs. "You poor thing. Love should be enough reason to cut the connection. It will always be enough."

And the next thing he knew, time moves faster than the clouded thoughts of his mind. He found himself standing in front of Haruto's apartment building. The darkness of the night made the familiar place solemn and lonely for some reason. With a heavy breath, he made his way inside— pulling out the spare key from his pocket and turning the knob open.

He expected darkness but a familiar presence made him halt. "I knew you'd be here. You're just in time." It was Yoonbin who spoke with a small smile.

The older gestured him to come close and Jeongwoo contemplated for a minute before he followed the obeyed.

"Were you planning to meet me?" Jeongwoo bravely asked earning a nod from the fallen guardian.

"I was planning to call you and meet outside but Yoshi mentioned that you would often visit this unit so I thought it's easier to meet you here. I hope my presence did not bother you."

Jeongwoo quickly shakes his hands with a hesitant smile. "Not really. May I ask why do you want to see me?"

The latter looked at him with his serious eyes. Yoonbin walked inside Haruto's room and went out with a small journal in his hand. The archangel darted his eyes on the journal, his intuition is telling him there is something important waiting for him inside those pages.

Yoonbin stood next to him and extended his arms— handing the journal.

"This is a hellborn's code of fortune, contains things we have done so far like some sort of report. Haruto gave this to me but upon flipping through the last few pages, I realized it was meant for you to read. He left a letter for you and he said he's sorry." Jeongwoo accepted the journal with his hands shaking, heart beating faster, and eyes welling up.

The fallen guardian gave him a sympathetic smile before patting his shoulder gently to comfort him. "I may not know everything between you and him, but I'm wishing both of you happiness." he then glances at the journal and backs away a little before he continued his words.

"I was once your kind— serving the light." Jeongwoo lifted his gaze. Right, he used to be the guardian of light.

"But it changed when I realized that no matter how certain our destiny is, there is always an escape."

The younger furrow his brows, eyes shinning in pure curiosity. "What do you mean?"

Yoonbin leaned back on the wall and rested his hand on his pocket. "You can always burn a bridge. Sometimes we get the best light from a burning bridge just as you get the same lesson after losing a connection."

Mashiho said the same thing. The archangel thought as he nibbles his lips.

"I, along with the deadly sins are leaving tomorrow. This is my last chance to tell you that Haruto felt the same for you. He didn't give up, he didn't sacrifice you for anything. He just needed something as a go signal to keep fighting." Their eyes met and Yoonbin smiles before started walking to the door.

"You are the go signal, Jeongwoo." then he left and closed the door behind. Leaving Jeongwoo with all sorts of emotions bursting out of his chest in the form of tears. 

Jeongwoo held the journal close to his chest, trying to stop himself from crying and as much as he wants to read the letter left for him, he doesn't think he can handle such emotion all by himself. He even called Mashiho and have the older calm him down for a few hours before he eventually fell asleep.

It was almost midnight when Jeongwoo woke up and the first thing he did is flipped through the pages of the journal— sighing as he musters the courage to start reading.

My Angel,

The moment I rose from six feet under as the guardian breathed life unto me, I knew already that it was fucked up. I made it out alive as a hellborn. And as my memories came back, I found out that you were still an Archangel, A hellborn's equivalent.

Right then, I knew my life became a candle. I knew I won't last a lifetime with you even if I wanted to. Because unlike you archangels, A hellborn cannot love his own equal. And if one did fell in love with an archangel as I did, the hellborn must pay a price, and that is his own life— to dedicate it to the fires.

When I found out you chose light in this lifetime, I knew I had to do something so I could get a glimpse of you. I was sure you wouldn't recognize even just my face.

I asked the vixens and rogues to make chaos in the realm, begged the fallen guardian to let the deadly sins escaped so I can roam around. The fallen guardian fell hesitant but he knew I won't have much time, I will eventually have to take the term after him. And I bet you already know the rest, A hellborn should be of service after the fallen guardian. You already know by now the things I went through just to be with you.

Love, I left without your knowledge because I have no time left. Like a melting candle, I am in a hurry to take the turn to lead the life after this. And by the time you are reading this, I have probably taken the throne, I can no longer turn back and roam freely at this point for a guardian could never leave the fires as soon as the power has been fully granted.

I'm sorry. I was more than happy that I get to share some memories with you in this lifetime even if it's forbidden, even if it made my time move faster than normal immortals. Breaking the laws of hell burned my candle faster, but it was worth it. It was for you, for us, my love.

I never regretted anything. I woke up with my heart still beating for you and there's nothing more I could do but to risk everything and commit reckless things just to have a little time with you.

Please forgive me as I left you again alone in this life. Know that I am departing happy from the realm, knowing that you love me and at last, you remembered. This a gift I could give you— to be with your kind, to be with the ones you considered home. Until the end, I want you to be happy.

This is not goodbye. I assure you that I will find you and choose you again in our next life, over and over again. But until then, I hope you cherish the moment and the love we had. Even just for a short time, See you in the next lifetime.

With love,
                 Haruto

Jeongwoo closed the journal with his eyes swollen from crying, even damping the pages with his tears. Heavy heart at the thought that he could no longer see Haruto in this life or at least that's what he thought. But among the many things that cloud his mind, there are only a few things that stood above all; Burn the bridge to prevent yourself from walking the same path.

It takes love, courage, and a burning bridge.