FA:TS- Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty-nine

Over the next few days, Dawn took her time to understand the origins of her family and the people they came from. The other worldly beings that came to Earth so long ago. Mark there with her as she preferred him there with her over her brother. She feared she might make her elderly brother sick with all she's learning from the alien device.

She learned about the corruption and destruction that gripped the alien race's world. The same that had been taking hold on Earth as well before the establishment of the creation groups as they are now. It had been the alien's hope to save themselves and hopefully their own race by leaving when it was apparent that their world was about to destroy itself. An atomic disaster that would kill all on their world.

As they were leaving the solar system, they had seen a flash on their world, and knew then that they were the last of their kind. Athenea had hoped that they had left the dark ways of corruption behind them as they searched for a new world to call home. She had every hope that their group of twelve were the best of their world and most pure. Little had she known that even they were already corrupted or easily corruptible.

Coming upon Earth, their ship took on a lot of damage through the inner asteroid belt. That damaged depleted their energy supplies and caused them to crash land on the area outside a place that would later be called Sparta. It hadn't been their plan to settle on the first world they came across, but they had no choice as they climbed out of their wrecked ship.

Athenea looked at Dawn. The projection was of an older looking Athenea. One of the few actually recordings that was within the recording. "Oh descendant. When we walked out of that ship, we were filled with hope and awe of the land. Our world had stripped all the vegetation and polluted the seas so long before. To see a world untouched and pure had breathed knew life into us. We vowed to teach the people here to do right by their world. To treat it properly." She shook her head looked away from Dawn. "But how little did any of us know what we were capable of. I feel so ashamed that even I had succumbed to such greed and immorality for so many of their generations."

Her haunting eyes came back to Dawn's and Dawn felt sad at seeing the pain there. "The wars we started and the lack of care for the lives lost is inexcusable. I was called the goddess of Wisdom, yet I was very unwise in some of my decisions."

A soft smile lifting the corners of her lips. "But it was a mortal that ended my foolishness. My one. The light among all the darkness I reveled in. He showed me the way I was supposed to be and gave me several amazing children."

There was a soft knock and Athenea nodded to someone away from her. She turned back to Dawn. "See you in a heart beat."

The recording dimmed and then there was another Athenea with a few more grey hairs down her long braid. A sad look on her face. She sighed. "I've just learned that my grandchild was born mortal. The shimmer is dying in my descendants. The crystalline traits of my people are fading as it gets diluted with the inhabitant's genetics. The others are very upset about this turn of events. We all thought that our genes would overrule the others as we were the dominate and more advanced species. But we're not."

A shake of her head. "I'm going to start researching and find a way to keep our people's genes alive. Our race can't just wither into nothing. We must survive and our children must continue on our legacy.

"For now I will keep this to myself. I wish not to get the other's hopes up. They are already devastated about this news as I have become. I just pray I can save at least my children and their descendants from losing their lineage."

Another change to the next recording. "So far, I have been unsuccessful. I know I'm missing something." Athenea shook her head as she looked to her thin crystal sheet that was no thicker than an eighth of an inch. Symbols glittered over the surface.

It changed again. A much older Athenea with a head of white hair yet no wrinkles on her face at all. Though her eyes told that she was much older at the moment. A look of weariness.

"I just lost my son today." Her eyes closed as sadness flowed through her. "The whole world seems to be at war right now. Athens was holding strong only because I had fortified it well. I have no doubt it will survive this, but it's those sent out of the walls like my son that are at risk. I fear for my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren. I need to find out how to save our lineage for the generations."

Dawn closed her eyes and bowed her head pausing the recordings. Mark rubbed her shoulder and kissed her head. "Do you want to take a break for today? We can go back up and see if anyone needed our help."

But she shook her head. "I'm fine. Just something that happened to her son, my ancestor. He died in a war."

She looked up at him and then leaned her head into his chest. "I wonder which war."

He cradled her against his chest. "I don't know."

After another few moments, Dawn lifted her head and touched the device. It glowed again before the rings created the recorded Athenea again. She was much older now. Slouched over slightly and looking a bit weak though strong at the same time. Her eyes closed as she had a soft smile on her face, yet she looked upset too.

"I've done it. I've finally after all these centuries, found what I had been missing." She produced several plants that I recognized a few and one I didn't. "Combining these with a bit of crystalline will create a drink that will increase our genetic heritage in a descendant." She touched the unknown plant. "This being one of the plants we brought with us and had thrived in the new world. The seeds of the fruit need to be ground up for the drink."

Then her expression turned frightened as she looked around. "I fear for the others will find out about this potion. With how they have turned so selfish and greedy now, I can't afford any of them making their descendants like them. Zeus most of all with his descendants following in his lead. Haricules, Zeus' first son from an inhabitant is just as twisted as his father."

She moved the plants away. "I'm going to intrust this device with my youngest living descendant from my son as they are leaving to wander the world and learn. She was the one I had tested and found that the drink works. I'll make sure to give her specific instructions for the drink for each of her own children. This will only stay within my family for the time being.

"I just pray that the world will not fall like ours had. Women seem to be the ones to hold the power best as the men seemed to become consumed with the dark side of the power of our people. My hope and faith lie with all my wonderful daughters to come.

"I have always believed that we were here to help others. What the others are here for, I have no idea."

The recording dimmed with her smiling at Dawn. Hope and love filled Athenea's face. The rings taking a little longer to fade and return to the device. Athenea's image staying as long as possible.

"So those plants are what makes up the drink your father gave you that night?" Dawn nodded as she touched the goblet that she had drank front on her twenty-first birthday. She had seen it on her ancestor's wooden table behind her. "Those are all found here on Earth. Wonder how they could increase your goddess genes?"

She turned to Mark and frowned. "I didn't recognize the one she touched. That one was from her world."

"Really?" Mark pulled over his laptop and searched for one tree in specific. The one from the Mediterranean. He turned his laptop and Dawn looked on shocked at what he had seen and she hadn't. "She showed you an Olive tree. A young one. It's found throughout all of the Mediterranean in Greece and Italy."

"But she said it was from her world. One of the few thriving plants they brought with them."

"You know, I can believe that as it's so prized by many in those regions. There's even a sacred olive tree in Athens." He tilted her chin up. "We could make a trip out there and see it."

She smiled at him. "In time. We have all the time in the world."

He looped his arms back around her and pulled her closer. Her arms sliding around his neck. "We have forever baby. Because I will never let you go. Never, ever."

"And I will hold onto you right back." She leaned into him so their lips were very closer. "Forever and ever."

"Ah-men." He kissed her deeply with all his love like he always did and always will.