Chapter VIII

"𝐈-𝐈𝐓𝐒 broken

"𝐈-𝐈𝐓𝐒 broken...the curse..." the boy with auburn-reddish hair and wearing his school uniform spoke, unable to process what was happening.

"I-I have to tell [y/n]!" he said suddenly and started running to the place where he knew for sure the [h/c] haired girl was.

And then, he saw her. She seems to be focused on something with her notebook, wearing a pouty face, which he chuckled lightly at.

He already knew who she was, the Phoenix. He knew how much she suffered during her times spent with Akito. And he wanted so badly to free her.

While walking towards her, he could hear her slight mumbling.

"Stupid, the head's too big. Have you even seen a human's head [y/n]?"

He chuckled at her and decided to speak.

"Hey don't be too hard on yourself." the sudden voice caught her attention.

"Kureno!" she smiled happily and ran towards him.

"How have you been—" she stopped mid sentence when she suddenly felt it.

'His curse...i-it's broken. W-wait if he's not the Rooster anymore...can I still protect him...? I-I mean my sworn duty is too protect the zodiac signs but! He's not anymore a zodiac sign...'

"K-kureno." she called out to him.

"Yes [y/n]?"

"What have you done?" her voice was breaking when she spoke those words.

His happy face suddenly was placed with fear, the girl who has been at his side whenever he needed her...was crying.

"[y-y/n]..."

"I-I mean what would A-akito think..? He probably already felt the bond break...and what if you get hurt! I can't protect you anymore..."

"[y/n]." he placed his hand on her shoulder but she still continued mumbling.

"I'm not allowed to protect you anymore..." and then, he saw her face.

Tears were already flowing looking from her eyes looking like some sort of crystal or glass, Her cheeks and nose became more red and rosy. Her eyebrows looking slightly upturned.

'Even when she's crying she somehow still looks beautiful.' he smiled sadly.

"No." she spoke suddenly. This caught the attention of the former Rooster.

"What?"

"I said no." her voice was filled with authority.

"Kureno...you might not be a zodiac anymore. But I'll still protect you!" she suddenly hugged him, catching him off guard, resulting into both of them landing on the ground.

She was on top of him which made said boy blush but she was too focused on getting her point across.

"I'll stay by your side and I'll always be there when you need me..." she buried her head into his shoulder.

"I may have lost my powers...but I know that they'll return." she mumbled.

He smiled at the girl, "I'll wait until that time comes."

He then pulled her chin to face him.

He chuckled at her, "You know, it's kinda weird with you being a girl declaring you'll protect me."

"Huh?" she asked while tilting her head to the side.

"I'm a man too you know, I can protect you." he said while slightly smirking.

She never seen Kureno act like this, it actually caught her off guard.

He just laughed at her surprised face.

"I'll never abandon you." he spoke while placing his hand on the side of her cheek.

She chuckled, "As if you'd ever get rid of me, your stuck with me."

'Yeah...and I'm glad I met you.' he thought.

.

After that whole incident with Akito, Kureno started thinking about what happened.

'I'll have to pretend to still be the Rooster...' he thought sadly.

He then looked up into the sky, the moonlight shining so bright.

'I hope you will be free from this cage soon [y/n]...'

"save us...save him." he mumbled.

And then,

"...I love you." he was shocked at his own words that escaped from his mouth.

'Maybe...being broken from the curse made me realize my feelings towards her.' he thought, his right hand covering his mouth.

He looked up again at the moon that was still shining brightly with its stars surrounding it, twinkling.

"I promise...I'll never abandon you."