Chapter Eleven: Summer's End

"There is a big difference between being deceived and being corrupted." -Elrond

21st April/ Gwirith T.A 3010, Rivendell

The next morning Aragorn had gone, and Anberenien went to meet Elrohir at the stables for her riding lesson. But as she brushed down her horse, she noticed her friend was missing.

"Elrohir, where is Rodon?"

"He has gone with Aragorn now he is old enough to go into the wilds. We expected he would go one day," replied one of the grooms.

Anberenien felt as though someone had punched her in the stomach. "But he never even came to say goodbye."

Elrohir laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Rangers, don't say goodbye, Anberenien, you know that. Not unless they believe they will not return."

Elrond was sorting through more scrolls when Anberenien stormed into his chamber.

"Why did you not tell me Rodon was going away? I didn't even get to say goodbye!"

"They left early. You were asleep. I did not wish to wake you."

"Rubbish! He was my friend! You and Aragorn wanted him gone because he was a stable boy and not a Gondorian Prince!

Elrond frowned, his arms folded. "No, he left because it was his time to go. You always knew that Rodon would one day join the Rangers as his father before him."

Anberenien glared at him. "You do not understand Ada!" And fled from the study. She ran to her chamber and threw herself onto the bed, sobbing. Despite Elenye's coaxing, Anberenien refused to attend her lessons and spent the whole day sulking. That evening, she would not join Elrond for dinner or the Hall of Fire afterwards.

That night in her dreams, a handsome man with red eyes appeared before her. "Do not be afraid, we were once acquainted, you and I, friends even. Only you do not remember. But I can help you, Almárie." He said in a soft, kind voice.

"Almárie? Yes, I remember that name. But I do not remember you."

"But you will, and I can help you. Dear Almárie, I have missed you so." The man then faded back into the darkness.

"Wait! Please, tell me who you are!" But there was no reply.

When she woke that morning, her first blood had come. Anberenien was now a maiden.

----------------------------------------

22nd April/ Gwirith T.A 3010, Rivendell

The Dining Hall was specially decorated for Anberenien's Maiden feast. Elrond had invited all of her tutors, and her favourite dishes were served. At the end of the dinner, Elrond handed Anberenien the beautifully carved strongbox that Aragorn had given him for safekeeping and gave her the key. "This box contains your mortal family's valuables that were saved from Duincar. Now I return them to you."

Anberenien examined the box. It still carried scorch marks from the fire that had consumed the Hall. Carefully, she opened it. Inside were bags of gold and silver coins and her mother's brooches and beads. Anberenien picked up the brooches, stroking them with her fingers. Happy thoughts floated into her mind as she remembered her Mother wearing them. Walking with her in the fields, learning sticks with her grandmother and listening to her Father's stories in the Great Hall.

But some nights she would dream of the handsome man and by day he was never far from her thoughts. Anberenien became distracted and dreamy during her lessons. But when Elrond tried to speak with her on the matter, she became angry and dismissive of his concerns.