Welcome to Isolation

People sometimes say that they are having one of those days. The days in question are rarely specified. The listener isn't expected to ask, "What kind of day is that, then?" They're just expected to know.

Would you like to die?

[Yes] or [No]

Maximus Rums' day looked like it was going to be one of those days. He stared at the words. They floated in front of him in a transparent blue prompt box, the same shade as his skin, reminiscent of ye oldie computer games of yore.

Would you like to die?

[Yes] or [No]

The words followed his vision as he moved his head around to see where he was. A rough pebble beach stretched out ahead and behind. Thick trees lay inland. Rough waters lapped against the shore. His lower body was numb with cold. This was probably because while his upper body was dressed in a suit jacket, shirt, and tie, everything from his family jewels down was exposed to the air. Naked. He didn't even have shoes!

Would you like to die?

[Yes] or [No]

Max tried to think. It wasn't easy. He didn't know how he'd gotten here. He didn't know where he'd been before, or what he was doing now. In fact, apart from his name, Maximus Rum (which sounded rather like an order being shouted at a Roman barkeeper) he couldn't remember anything about himself at all!

A quick search of his jacket pockets for clues proved only modestly helpful. A leather wallet contained a thousand Earth dollars, a few credit cards, a small photo of an adorable black kitten, and a business card which identified him as an employee of the RING corporation (junior advertising writer). There was also a multi-tool with knife, a can of tuna, a tiny notebook—which turned out to be empty—a solid gold fountain pen(!), and two pairs of women's underwear(!!!) — one red and lacy, the other, white and frilled.

Max wasn't sure about much right now. But top of his suspicions list was that whatever he'd been doing last night, it must have been a mother of a good time. Too bad he couldn't remember any of it.

Would you like to die?

[Yes] or [No]

One thing Max was certain about was that he didn't want to die. He was also certain that he wanted to find out what the hell was going on. Why was he here? Where was he? Who was he? And why didn't he have any pants?!

He still hoped the answer to that last question had something to do with the underwear he shoved back into his jacket.

Gingerly, Max reached forward and pressed the [No] button.

A bolt of lightning cracked from the clear blue sky above and struck the ground right next to him, sending stone everywhere.

Max recoiled in shock. Bare arse landed on the cold pebbles behind him. His hands scraped on the ground, breaking his fall. Pain!

— Bong —

Congratulations on passing your first quest!

The Right Choice.

You have decided not to die. A simple choice at first, but one which will become more challenging to commit to as time goes on in the Trial by Conquest. Would you like to learn more about the Trial by Conquest?