1.

It had only been a few weeks after Eva had died that Henry brought home his new wife Cora. She was beautiful and had two daughters. Zelena who was four and Snow who was two years old. Henry loved her dearly though he just could never forget Eva. However he needed to think of his daughter first and Regina needed a mother so he didn't hesitate to marry Cora.  He was sure she would be a good mother for Regina.

"Cora, meet Regina " he said gently as he took her hand and led her over to the crib where his daughter was sleeping right now. 

Cora smiled at the baby girl and instantly felt a connection to the little girl. She picked Regina up and rocked her gently in her arms, in a motherly fashion. "Oh, Henry, she is truly perfect. Such a sweet angel. " she said softly and smiled at her husband. She was truly happy. Now their family was complete.

Two years later...

"Papa!" Little Regina cried out as her big sister Snow was chasing the little toddler around the house. She giggled playfully as she ran around, looking for their parents. 

Henry was laying on the floor in his study, unconscious as Regina entered the room. "Papa!" The toddler cried out in shock and kneeled on the floor, shaking him to wake him up.

Snow giggled as she found Regina finally but stopped as she saw their father. "Gina, go get Mama. " she told the little girl. 

The young toddler nodded and ran to find her Mama. "Mama!" She called out.

Cora went to Regina. "What's wrong, princess?" She asked curiously and picked the toddler up and held her close. "Papa" the little girl simply said and pointed to the study. The older brunette frowned and went to the study with her and gasped as she saw Henry. She put Regina down and rushed to Henry's side. "Henry, my love " she said softly and got teary eyed as she checked his pulse. He was alive but really weak.

"Johanna! Fetch the doctor, quick!" She shouted.

Johanna heard Cora and immediatly went to fetch the doctor who arrived only minutes after and they went to check on Henry.

Regina didn't really understand what was going on since she was very young still and didn't understand most things yet. She was send to play with Snow and Zelena while Cora stayed with Johanna and the doctor by Henry's side.

"His heart is very weak. He won't make it much longer. " the doctor told Cora after giving him something to wake him up.

"Can I see him?" Cora asked desperately and looked at the doctor with her big brown eyes.

The doctor nodded and left the room to give them some space. Cora went to Henry's bed and sat beside it, taking his hand. "Oh, Henry" she said softly and cupped his cheek gently.

"C...cora " he answered weakly and looked at his wife. "Please...take...c..care...of Regina." He stammered.

"I will. Don't worry. I will raise her like my own daughter" she promised him with tears streaming down her face. She couldn't believe she was losing him so soon after they had gotten married. It wasn't fair.

"G...good. D...don't t..tell her. A...about her mother. You are her mama. " he continued and squeezed her hand.

"I..." Cora was unsure about this. Yes, she was Regina's mother but the girl deserved to know the truth someday at least. "Yes. I promise I won't tell her ever." She  agreed after a moment of silence and kissed his hand. "I love you, Henry." She whispered and held his hand until he took his last breath. She cried. She cried for hours and didn't leave his side until the girls entered the room with Johanna. She pulled the girls close to her and tried to explain to them what happened with their father but Regina and Snow were still too small to understand.

A week later Henry was buried and nothing was ever the same again.