PART THIRTY-ONE: THE TWIST BEHIND A TWIST

"MISS ME?"

No one between the four of us can talk. No one can even move or blink.

He was there.

He was standing right there.

He was, indeed, alive...

Courtney was staring at us with a 'you're-safe-now' eyes.

Tyler Scott was looking at Avery and giving her a weak smile while Avery was looking at him too with tears in her eyes.

Hindi ko alam kung anong dapat kong maramdaman. Dapat ba 'kong umiyak dahil sa wakas ay ligtas na kami, matakot dahil muntik na kaming mamatay, o maguluhan dahil iyong akala naming matagal nang nawala ay naririto sa harap namin ngayon at buhay na buhay.

Taliwas sa hitsura niya noon, mas mukha itong bumata dahil sa bagsak itong buhok na dati'y parating naka-brush up.

Walang maririnig na ingay sa buong lugar. Si Courtney ay nakatingin lang sa amin at ganoon din ako sa kanila. Si Tyler at Avery naman ay nakatitig lang sa isa't isa at walang maka-alis ng tingin sa pagitan nila.

"Avery..." Tyler uttered, finally breaking the ice. He smiled once again at Avery but this time, tears filled his eyes. "It's been a while..."

I saw Avery gulped. I saw the enormous amount of pain all over her face.

They were just staring at each other as if everything just zoomed out. In a sudden, lights occupied the whole place. The electricity came back and the darkness that pervaded the night had finally ceased.

In a snap, Tyler's phone rang, an indication that the outage had been fixed. A song was playing as a ring tone and he had no intention to answer it.

It was If by Bread.

"Is that...really you?" Avery asked and her voice cracked.

With pain on his face, Tyler nodded.

"I'm not dreaming, am I?" Avery followed and her voice started to become shaky.

With tears once again building up in his eyes, Tyler gently shook his head.

"Oh my god..." Avery covered her mouth as tears fell from her eyes.

Tears fell from my eyes. Courtney was getting emotional too. 

"I missed you," Tyler said and he gave her a weak smile. "Don't you miss me too?"

Avery continued crying while looking at Tyler still.

"I missed you, Avery..."

It was obvious from the way he looked at her that he was missing her so bad.

Tyler bit his lower lip when tears once again escaped his eyes.

"I longed for you, Avery..."

Courtney was getting more emotional while watching her friends.

With a loving eyes, Tyler looked thoroughly at Avery's eyes.

"I love you, Avery..."

Just like that, I felt my heart aching in a good way. After being apart for so long, finally, a day like this had come.

In a snap, Avery ran towards Tyler. He opened his arms and met her by his embrace. Avery hugged him hard and cried hard in his arms.

I bit my tongue. Napakalakas ng iyak ni Avery na palatandaan kung paano siya naghirap sa mga taon na wala si Tyler.

Tyler smiled widely while tears continued grimming in his eyes. He started gently patting Avery's hair while she was sobbing in his arms.

"You have me now, Avery," I heard him told her. "I won't leave you behind anymore."