Arthur had been subtly working on his mother for three years now. With a child on the way, their engagement would be announced any day now ... once Claire told him, of course. Mrs Slickson would understand. When she learned that she and Arthur had been courting for three years, she would see how much they loved one another. She was going to be a grandmother. This was a happy occasion!

Claire nearly jumped out of her skin when there was a loud knock on her door.

"Claire, are you getting ready?" her mother called through the door. "We are to depart soon."

Claire wiped her eyes but could not wipe away her smile. She could not go to Ashwood House just yet. Arthur had to know about her pregnancy. They were due to meet up soon anyway. "I thought I might get a little painting in first, Mama!" Claire called back. "The light is just lovely ..." Her heart suddenly stopped as she looked out the window and prayed for sunshine. God was on her side thankfully, as there was some autumn sun shining.

"What?" cried Mrs Denham. "Claire, this is not an ordinary party. It is Perrie's birthday!"

Claire couldn't help but nearly burst into happy tears again. Oh, Perrie was going to have another little cousin. She, Kate and Grace would all be mothers! Claire had always looked up to and admired her older sisters. Kate had been the first to marry for love, and how Jim Ellis adored her. And Grace had always been meant for Adam Beresford, no matter the obstacles they needed to jump between meeting in the schoolroom and meeting at the altar.

Just like her sisters, she was going to marry a man that adored her, and she would have a family of her own. She had thrown her sisters off the scent a few years ago and had been much better at hiding her affection for Arthur. Grace especially would understand now. She would understand that Arthur was her Adam.

"I will be along, Mama!" Claire promised. "I cannot forgo such weather! Winter will be dreadful for light. I won't be too far behind you. I shall walk. The exercise will do me well." Indeed, Mrs Denham would not know how well. Just yet, anyway.

She heard Mrs Denham sigh outside her door, but she did not protest. Claire had no plans to miss Perrie's second birthday. She knew it was a bit of a gathering, and Grace had spent a long while planning it. It was the setting of Jack Beresford's return, after all. Grace hoped that a large community of guests would provide Jack with enough cover to protect him from any offhand comments from his mother and he would feel welcome enough to remain at Ashwood House.

Claire could only recall a few details of Jack Beresford. They had danced once, but most of her attention had been on Arthur. She did not really remember if they had spoken. Of course, they were both in attendance at Grace and Adam's wedding, but he had been quiet and melancholy, understandably so, so soon after his father's death. Those were her only two encounters with the man.

Claire dressed herself in white, which was Arthur's favourite colour on her. She combed, fluffed, and pinned her hair, and listened out for the door and the sound of the carriage for when her family left for Ashwood House.

When they were safely away and she was satisfied with her appearance, Claire stole out of the house, too. During this time, Claire had become an expert in moving as clandestinely as possible. She knew the wood paths expertly and found her way quickly to the mossy clearing that had come to be known as their spot.

Claire's heart was beating quickly, and she felt a fluttering of nerves in the pit of her stomach. But they eased immediately when she saw Arthur leaning against a tree as he waited for her. Claire skipped into a run as she raced over to him, jumping into his arms as soon as she was close enough.

Arthur squeezed Claire tightly, pulling apart just enough to press his lips to hers hard. "I thought you might stand me up for the party," he murmured. His green eyes suddenly darkened, and Claire knew his expression of desire. "But does this mean your mother's house is empty?" He arched an eyebrow curiously.